PSM-1 sweetspot found

Started by J.A.F._Doorhof, January 11, 2002, 10:46:06

Previous topic - Next topic

J.A.F._Doorhof

After much testing (thanks to Rob) and alot of comparing we found out that for the 7700 the sweetspot of the PSM-1 is 1024x768 (MY programming).
After testing on the Pioneers we also found out that the results especialy on PAL with 1024x768 are a major improvement over the other settings.

So all customers who have a PSM-1 with MY programming can upgrade for free to the new settings.

We will try to find out if the Toshiba line-jitter is gone on this new setting. But seeing the way the line-jitter is introduced with the Toshiba players I'm not sure it will be completly gone, but there is a good chance it will.

Next week we will be having a 500 back for mods so we will test than.

Greetings,
Frank
www.hometheater.nl   /   ISF & HAA certified
Custom installer

Volledige ISF calibraties inclusief HDR en 4K.

"Omdat je je iets niet kan voorstellen betekent dat niet dat het niet kan gebeuren"

garmtz

That's very good news! Fortunately, I have a 7700. Could you describe in a bit more detail which improvements are visible as compared to example 1080x720? Why would you call 1024x768 a sweet spot? Is it the point where least "problems" occur you would say?

See you soon!

J.A.F._Doorhof

On all other resolution there can be micro staircasing seen. Rob pointed this out to me, and indeed he was right, it's very very minor but still it's there.

On 1024x768 the scaling engine of the PSM-1 is NOT introducing those micro artifacts, when switching lower or higher the same effects can be seen, when you know where to look it's easily seen.

Rob tested alot of resolutions I gave him, because on the Barco he uses a new memory setting is much quicker done than on my G70 and the 808 is very sharp so he could work much quicker than I could. He found out that the 1024x768 was the best on the 7700, so I tried it on the 939 and also there the best result is achieved on that resolution. Also the 200TVL patterns are flawless, so this is defintly the way to go, untill the PSM-2 is here.

Maybe this can even resolve the Toshiba linejitter, we will try that the comming weeks.

Greetings,
Frank
Custom installer

"Omdat je je iets niet kan voorstellen betekent dat niet dat het niet kan gebeuren"

garmtz

As a matter of fact, I HAVE indeed seen micro-staircasing on my new resolution of 1080x720, but I thought this was just an artifact of the resolution of the DVD itself, NOT a scaling artifact (a good example can be found on the Columbia/TriStar intro of The Fifth Element, but it can be seen on almost all titles), but if I can get rid of that, that's great! Flawless 200TVL patterns sounds like music to my ears! No more pixel straddle? No moiree?

J.A.F._Doorhof

Yep,

Just plain picture  ;D, only the normal moire assossiated with the high Mhz areas. But the same flawless presentation you are used to on the higher resolutions.

Greetings,
Frank
Custom installer

garmtz

Frank programmed the resolution into my PSM-1 and all I can see is: WOW! My image has never looked so good! Amazingly clean and artifact-free and very, very stable... THANKS!

chendy

Hi Frank!

Congratulations with your splendid work! Also GOOD WORK, Rob! I´ve just seen the wonderfull filmy image-quality this new resolution offers. I liked it so much, I´ve just send you an email to make an appointment. When can you start...

With friendly regards, Chendy.
PCH A100 > Sony 40" Bravia 1080p >  5.1 set-up