Welke LP heb je het laatst aangeschaft

Gestart door advr, juni 4, 2006, 23:10:32

« vorige - volgende »

garmtz

Tom Waits - Mule Variations

"This LP recorded, mixed and mastered in analog"

Kende de muziek uiteraard al van haver tot gort, maar alleen digitaal. De LP is toch wel een openbaring...

MarkD

Ah, dat wordt voor mij dan ook een verplichte aanschaf! Heb zelf net Small Change en Rain Dogs van hem binnen.
Stereo: Atom Uniti Atom HE|Naim NAP 250DR|VPI Traveler|Harbeth Monitor 30.1 AE|Velodyne DD12
HT: Stereo i.c.m. Marantz NR1602|LG UBK90 4K blu-rayspeler|Piega TMicro center en surround speakers

garmtz

Citaat van: MarkD op januari  8, 2014, 10:34:46
Ah, dat wordt voor mij dan ook een verplichte aanschaf! Heb zelf net Small Change en Rain Dogs van hem binnen.

In welke masters? Small change denk ik de Rhino, maar de Rain Dogs? Music On Vinyl?

Actionhost

Citaat van: garmtz op januari  7, 2014, 22:32:57

Kende de muziek uiteraard al van haver tot gort, maar alleen digitaal. De LP is toch wel een openbaring...

Lees er net een mooi stukje over op soundstage.com:

Mule Variations has been out for a while, and it may not be Waits' best effort. So why, you might ask, am I including it here? Well, I've been listening to and enjoying this album since it came out on CD, but I only recently picked up the LP. This, my friends, is the way to listen to Tom Waits. After comparing both formats, it seems clear that Waits doesn't like having his voice digitized. There's more smoke, more cheap bourbon waiting to be dredged up from the bottom of the vinyl grooves. I can almost smell his bad breath through the added presence and richness served up on the LP. The vocals are more up front, more in your face, though, which isn't so good if you don't like his voice.

But it's not only the ruffian's voice that benefits from the LP format. The entire mood of the album is better served on vinyl, all the way from the full-size photo on the cover and the legible liner notes, to the precise imaging and low-level detail that is nowhere near as profound on the CD. It's right there on the album sleeve in black and white: "This LP recorded, mixed and mastered in analog." Images are clearer, the soundstage is deeper, surface noise is low, and there are none of the ticks and pops that are all too common on much of today's new vinyl. The fact that my copy is a bit warped adds to the crusty feel of the whole package and doesn't bother me in the least.

Of op audiophinyl.com:

Oh, Tom Waits, thank you SO MUCH for making this record. Not only is it an outstanding collection of music, but it was recorded with such care and integrity. This is what truly makes Mule Variations stand out as one of, if not THE, most wonderful pieces of vinyl I own. Nothing will make me more inclined to pick up a record than if I see, printed on the back, "This LP recorded, mixed and mastered in analog." This is only the second record I've reviewed with this increasingly rare quality, and, no offense to Ben Kweller, this album blows his out of the water sonically. It has so much depth and warmth to it, and it's wonderfully mixed and mastered with all the instruments sounding natural, clear, and sonically placed in a way that makes you feel like you're listening in to a live studio session

I'm not sure if that's the way this album was actually recorded (it must have at least some overdubs because Waits is often credited as a multi-instrumentalist), but being able to hear the creaks of Waits' piano bench and even the percussive sound of his fingers hitting the keys makes this feel like one of the most intimate records ever recorded. And, my god, his voice. It can change tremendously from track to track, both in performance and in mixing. Though it's always best suited to the track, hearing his voice just enveloping tracks like "What's He Building In There?," "Pony," "Georgia Lee," and "Come On Up To The House" is just wonderfully immersive.

While writing this review, I went back to the MP3s on my laptop to remind myself of which songs had qualities I was perticularly fond of. The thing is, I really couldn't do it. This record sounds SO much bigger and warmer on record, that all the things I loved about the tracks while listening to the record were completely lost when I tried to relocate them digitally. Truly, it is THAT different. If that doesn't make the case for you, I don't know what will.

Ga 'm denk ik ook bestellen. Moet ik nog letten op een bepaalde uitgave of is er maar één?
Marantz PM-15s2 Limited Edition/Marantz SA-15s2 Limited Edition/Monitor audio RX6 (wit hoogglans)/Acoustic Signature WOW met Ortofon 2M Blue/ Van den Hul 3T "The Rock"/Van den Hul CS122/ Wireworld Stratus 5

Sonos Connect met Magna Ultimo Mod/Externe DAC: Marantz SA-15s2 Limited Edition/Synology DS213

Jumping Jack

Citaat van: garmtz op januari  7, 2014, 22:32:57

Waar gekocht, als ik vragen mag? Ik zie dat ie in de webshop van anti €18,40 (+ 19% V.A.T.) kost, net als Glitter & Doom...
Wilson Benesch / Accuphase/ Eversolo / Dual / Sennheiser / Shure / Meze
Jumping Jack's set
Discogs

michelb87

Marantz PM15 s2 Limited Edition  |  Marantz SA15 s2 Limited Edition  |  Scan-Speak TL zelfbouw

MarkD

:clapping:
Citaat van: garmtz op januari  8, 2014, 10:49:38
In welke masters? Small change denk ik de Rhino, maar de Rain Dogs? Music On Vinyl?

In beide gevallen goed! :clapping:
Stereo: Atom Uniti Atom HE|Naim NAP 250DR|VPI Traveler|Harbeth Monitor 30.1 AE|Velodyne DD12
HT: Stereo i.c.m. Marantz NR1602|LG UBK90 4K blu-rayspeler|Piega TMicro center en surround speakers

Mordante

Citaat van: garmtz op januari  6, 2014, 10:26:08
Mijn 'ervaring' met Music On Vinyl is dat ze het niet zo nauw nemen met welke masters ze gebruiken. Vaak (bijna altijd?) is dat gewoon dezelfde master als van de CD. Wat heeft het dan voor zin daar de LP van te kopen?? Verde CLAIMEN ze soms de 24biut/96kHz masters te hebben gebruikt, maar ik heb nog nooit bewijzen gezien daarvan. Zou wel een vinyl rip willen zien van een door hen vanaf een 96 kHz master gesneden album.

Hun perskwaliteit is oha wel erg hoog.

Ik heb een album van Megadeth, Countdown to Extinction uitgebracht door  MOBILE FIDELITY. Op de cover staat: [qoute] Half-speed mastered from the original master tapes and pressed onto 180-gram vinyl that's as heavy as the songs[/quote] echter ik heb begrepen dat dit helemaal niet waar is. Ze schijnen een remaster gebruikt te hebben. Ook is het deze versie minder dynamische dan een originele  persing.

Er word best wel wat onzin verkocht door de "audiofiele" labels.

garmtz

Citaat van: Jumping Jack op januari  8, 2014, 14:13:57
Waar gekocht, als ik vragen mag? Ik zie dat ie in de webshop van anti €18,40 (+ 19% V.A.T.) kost, net als Glitter & Doom...

http://eu.kingsroadmerch.com/tom-waits/

Jumping Jack

Yup, daar had ik dus gekeken, bedankt!

Vandaag in de mediamarkt twee nieuwe plaatjes gescoord (David Hidalgo van Los Lobos speelt trouwens wel eens in de band van Waits):

Jumping Jack's set
Discogs

MarkD

Jumping Jack

Jumping Jack's set
Discogs

Kantuit

Een handvol uit eigen land.

Motek - Sonder

Stadt - Stadt

Jan Swerts - Anatomie van de melancholie

DAAU - Eight definitions

Dynaudio Contour 20
Hegel H120
Vincent S6
Pro-ject tube box SE II / Pro-ject rpm 5.1 / Ortofon 2M red

Jumping Jack

Citaat van: Jumping Jack op januari  9, 2014, 14:42:03
Net Mule Variations en Glitter and Doom maar even besteld...

En vandaag ontvangen en aan het genieten...  :worship:.
Jumping Jack's set
Discogs

kruzer

Misschien niet relevant hier, maar heeft iemand de LP van Gare du Nord, "collected", uitgegeven door MOV?  Hoe klinkt hij?

Jumping Jack

De Speakerscorner versie ( :worship:, gewoonweg een perfect jazz-album. 'Hoe down' is zo'n ongelooflijk vet nummer.)

Jumping Jack's set
Discogs

eddy135

Citaat van: Jumping Jack op januari 14, 2014, 20:53:57
De Speakerscorner versie ( :worship:, gewoonweg een perfect jazz-album. 'Hoe down' is zo'n ongelooflijk vet nummer.)

De bezetting belooft in ieder geval veel goeds!
Zal 'm eens gaan beluisteren.  :)
WAAR GEEN WIL IS, IS EEN UITWEG

HALF WERK IS EEN GOED BEGIN

Actionhost

Zojuist besteld:

Wynton Kelly Trio- Smokin' At The Half Note (Analogue Productions-200gr-45 RPM).

Mooie bezetting!

Wynton Kelly, piano
Wes Montgomery, guitar
Paul Chambers, bass
Jimmy Cobb, drums

Wel lange levertijd helaas.

Marantz PM-15s2 Limited Edition/Marantz SA-15s2 Limited Edition/Monitor audio RX6 (wit hoogglans)/Acoustic Signature WOW met Ortofon 2M Blue/ Van den Hul 3T "The Rock"/Van den Hul CS122/ Wireworld Stratus 5

Sonos Connect met Magna Ultimo Mod/Externe DAC: Marantz SA-15s2 Limited Edition/Synology DS213

Actionhost

Chet Baker Quartet- No Problem (Steeple Chase)

Gister besteld, nu binnen en nu op de WOW. LP klinkt lekker....

Actionhost

De 2 aanwinsten van vandaag:

Zit nu naar Miles te luisteren. Geweldig goed gemasterde LP. Goede stage, veel ruimte tussen de instrumenten en het geluid komt lekker los van de speakers (en ja ik ben me bewust van de audiofiele clichés  ;D ). Erg fraai.

LP van Chet klinkt prima maar echt een stuk minder dan de LP van MoFi.

lynch1979

Music on Vinyl heb ik persoonlijk geen goede ervaringen mee  :devil:

Actionhost

Citaat van: lynch1979 op januari 22, 2014, 19:10:54
Music on Vinyl heb ik persoonlijk geen goede ervaringen mee  :devil:

Wel redelijk wat ruis en hier en daar een 'tik' inderdaad (daar waar de MoFi erg stil is).

Linx

:withstupid:

Jumping Jack

Iemand de nieuwe mogwai op vinyl? Garmtz?
Jumping Jack's set
Discogs