Konstantin HDI

Started by J.A.F._Doorhof, August 15, 2009, 23:55:39

Previous topic - Next topic

J.A.F._Doorhof

Half September zullen we als alles goed gaat iemand van HDI op ons forum hebben als special guest die wat vragen zal beantwoorden.
www.hometheater.nl   /   ISF & HAA certified
Custom installer

Volledige ISF calibraties inclusief HDR en 4K.

"Omdat je je iets niet kan voorstellen betekent dat niet dat het niet kan gebeuren"

J.A.F._Doorhof

Ok.
Konstantin from HDI will be checking this topic in the coming days/week.
He asked due to time limitations if we would collect a list of questions so he could answer them together with technicians as a list.

So let's start with the questions.
Custom installer

"Omdat je je iets niet kan voorstellen betekent dat niet dat het niet kan gebeuren"

J.A.F._Doorhof

Ok first my list of questions :

First welcome Konstantin and thank you so very much for taking the time for us :

Will there be an option to change the output refresh during play.
Or will there be a new firmware were the autodetection also works for ISO/DVD ?

Is there any chance we will ever see DVD-A or SACD support in a future player ?

Could it be possible to include a timer for BD playback, we often check before the movie starts the run time to see if it fits our time we have that night.

Could you add calibration patterns inside the player for people who want to do a quick setup, just a simple brightness contrast pattern would be enough for most.

I would love to see the screensaver active on all file types, now on some file types it does not kick in.

I think a lot of people would love to see moveable subtitles.

Due to some firmware problems maybe a selectable firmware option ?
Without reinstalling the firmware room for two firmwares (some sort of bootcamp)

Further I would like to see the following added from your own wishlist.
Could you add how far you are with implementing this :

* autofirmware check and upgrade if available
* working movie collection software
* subtitles font size and color

Custom installer

MaxxMark

In addition I would like to see these questions answered. And in advance I would like to thank Konstantin for answering these questions! :)

1. The dune always had better picture quality than the PopcornHour did. But the C200 made up for some/all of it. So how is the picture quality produced by the Dune 3.0 In comparison to the Dune 1.0 and to the PCH C200?

2. In the Dune 1.0 you have developed with a sigma chipset aswell. Can we assume that because of this you have a head start on other companies (PCH C200)? Or is the SDK so different from the one used that you have to start again from scratch?

3. There is a great community for the Popcorn Hour, an a lot of people see this as a big advantage. How are you going to compete with such a large testing/support(ive) community?

4. The Dune 3.0 specs ( http://dune-hd.com/hd_players/111-dune-bd-prime-3.0.html ) speak of a feature called "Dune Network Playback Accelerator" which should compensate for network congestion or slow network connections. Can you elaborate on what this function is and how it works?

5. On the Dune 1.0 network speeds where kind of a problem. It seemed that no matter if you used 100mbit or 1000mbit connections, you could not get much higher speeds. Are these problems addressed in the 3.0? And if not, is it true that the problem lies with the Sigma chipset?

6. Is the dune 3.0 region locked for BluRay discs? And for DVD Discs?
Arcam AVR850  + Yamaha RX-V3800 - Martin Logan Fresco 7.1.4 - Velodyne DD15 - HDI Dune 3.0 Prime / Dune 4K Pro - JVC N7 - Screen Excellence 21:9 (320cm breed) - Mijn eerste HT -  Mijn tweede HT@mark_prins - www.markprins.com

deniax

+1 voor movable subs, ook in Bluray films! :pompom:

Nog wat suggesties voor de vragen:

1) Will you add skin support?

2) Will the Dune 3 remember the last playback position/bookmarking for files&bluray ?

3) Does the Dune 3 reinitialize video output when you start after a stop?

4) Why is it so long quiet on the firmware front on your older models / when do you expect a new firmware?

5) Why does HDI keep on having problems communicating reliable release data, whilst others don't seem to have that problem?

6) Is there a possibility to gather information concerning the movie you have selected (link to IMBD with all kinds of info)
D-Box - Velodyne - Screen Research - JVC - Audyssey

jaco

- Can HDI please stop putting development time into the strange request for all kind of rips/codecs made to run on PC's and have normal DVD, Blu Ray and 1:1 rips of those working ok first ?

- shiftable subtitles on Blu Rays would be nice fro CIH setups indeed.

- native resolution output (resolution / refreshrate)

9.1.6 setup  Marantz AV10, Genelec G4 x9 voor base layer. Genelec G3 x6  voor hoogte kanalen. Genelec hts-4 subwoofer. VPL-XW5000ES. Screen Excelence enlightor 4k scherm

meteorite

- Will it support FULL ASS/SSA Subtitle format, not just the easy ASS/SSA -> SRT conversion that all media streamer do these days ( all software media players can do the ASS/SSA Subtitle format )

voor mensen die dit niet kennen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SubStation_Alpha
Popcorn Hour | Sanyo | Pioneer | KEF | Marantz | LaserDisc | D-VHS | HD-DVD | Blu-ray

celerontje

Quote from: J.A.F._Doorhof on October 26, 2009, 19:50:01
I think a lot of people would love to see moveable subtitles.
To be exact:
He means moveable subtitles with native Blu-ray playback. ;)
If you want to see The Dark Knight really ''dark'', then simply power-off your projector! ;)

I will look for you, I will find you, and I will make an HT addict of you!

rbormans

Quote from: jaco on October 27, 2009, 14:22:09
- Can HDI please stop putting development time into the strange request for all kind of rips/codecs made to run on PC's and have normal DVD, Blu Ray and 1:1 rips of those working ok first ?
+1

- also have DTS in DVD file playback (VIDEO_TS) working over S/PDIF
- make the color output YCrCb versus RGB selectable in the menu (now it is linked to the HDMI Audio setting)

Starred

Quote from: J.A.F._Doorhof on August 15, 2009, 23:55:39
Half September zullen we als alles goed gaat iemand van HDI op ons forum hebben als special guest die wat vragen zal beantwoorden.

Misschien heeft ie de verkeerde URL  :music:

kermit

Quote from: Starred on November  6, 2009, 10:37:45
Misschien heeft ie de verkeerde URL  :music:

Of hij is met vakantie

J.A.F._Doorhof

zal hem nog eens er op attenderen.
Custom installer

bmateijsen

Of hij heeft naar de vragen gekeken en gedacht: wegwezen ;D. (flauwe grap ;D)

J.A.F._Doorhof

One more added question (and I hope Konstantin will look here, I've mailed him again yesterday but I know they are busy).

Would it be possible to make a small applet that would make it possible to connect an iPhone or iPod and browse the catalogue including video from it.
Custom installer

jaco

Sinterklaas is faster than HDI,i know someone would not let us down  ;)
9.1.6 setup  Marantz AV10, Genelec G4 x9 voor base layer. Genelec G3 x6  voor hoogte kanalen. Genelec hts-4 subwoofer. VPL-XW5000ES. Screen Excelence enlightor 4k scherm

J.A.F._Doorhof

I mailed konstantine several times and got a quick response, on my last mail I did not get a response.
I'm afraid that means they don't want to be on the forum which is a shame because I rescheduled several times for him.
For the time being I will let it rest, I don't want to be too pushy.
However seeing the promotion we did for HDI I really find it too bad they don't keep their appointment.
Custom installer

rbormans

Al meer nieuws inmiddels ?

J.A.F._Doorhof

No news.
I mailed Konstantin several times and to be honest I give up.
Custom installer

celerontje

Very, very, very disappointing! >:(
If you want to see The Dark Knight really ''dark'', then simply power-off your projector! ;)

rbormans

Quote from: celerontje on November 24, 2009, 15:58:05
Very, very, very disappointing! >:(
Ze zijn ongetwijfeld even hard aan het werken aan de laatste bugfixes op de firmware die er 2 weken geleden ging zijn.

deniax

Quote from: Raf (B) on November 24, 2009, 16:01:27
Ze zijn ongetwijfeld even hard aan het werken aan de laatste bugfixes op de firmware die er 2 weken geleden ging zijn.
Excuses, excuses, excuses...
D-Box - Velodyne - Screen Research - JVC - Audyssey

neptune

Ik zou gewoon die gasten van Syabas vragen ipv HDI. Discussie over de C200 is ook leuk toch?
Wellicht houden zij zich WEL aan hun woord. T'is toch te zot voor woorden zo iets :unhappy:
zet hier iets neer

celerontje

Good idea! :pompom:
Frank, can you arrange this for us? :inlove:

Hopefully they aren't too busy with eating popcorn. :D :D :D

J.A.F._Doorhof

Als iemand een contact heeft kan ik ze altijd mailen.
Had graag HDI hier gehad, maar feitelijk is iedereen welkom die iets te vertellen heeft natuurlijk.
Custom installer