Review Crystalio

Started by Starred, January 5, 2005, 18:30:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Starred

The Crystalio VPS-2300 is a new stand alone video processor that incorporates the latest video processing chip from Genesis, the FLI-2310. This chip was designed by Faroudja laboratories and features both DCDi and TrueLife processing. Crystalio has also added some of their own features including 1:1 pixel mapping and a slew of digital video enhancement tools.

The FLI-2310 chip is used to its full capabilities here and Crystalio has included a huge amount of user tweakability to dial in the performance of the chip. This includes full use of the TrueLife processing set. TrueLife processing allows for noise reduction and digital enhancement without the ringing that is normally associated with these functions.

For our de-interlacing tests, the Genesis did the same as its other implementations, which is great. In the Auto mode, this processor passed all of the tests with the exception of 2-2 based de-interlacing. You can use the pre-set 2:2 Odd or NTSC 30 de-interlacing modes for this and the processor will lock in just fine.

I used my Denon DVD-5900 that has been SDI modded to test the analog frequency response of this processor. The player has a slight roll-off in the upper end that contributes to a slightly soft look. Y/C delay was fine and can be adjusted in the processors menus for tweaks that need it.

The default white level of this processor is too low, measuring in the low 90s using a gray ramp from the AVIA test disc. The processor has its own set of user picture adjustments and I recommend using them to adjust contrast levels properly.

Like every other product that uses the FLI-23xx series chips, this processor suffers from the digital artifacting commonly know as "Macroblocking". Using my reference, Chapter 22 of "A Bug's Life", digital artifacts were clearly present in backgrounds and varied from scene to scene. While this wasn't the worst case of it I've seen, it was still quite apparent. Those of you with plasma displays or fixed pixel monitors should be wary of this and make sure you can return the unit if you have the compatibility issue.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=121#CrystalioVPS-2300