Avalon Indra, op Stereophile

Started by Shorty, October 22, 2008, 15:20:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Shorty

Wes Phillips bespreekt in Stereophile de Indra, van Avalon Acoustics, en is onder de indruk:

'I tend to use the Wilson Audio Specialties WATT/Puppy 8 loudspeakers ($28,000/pair) as a baseline in comparison with other high-aspiration speakers, partly because I have them to hand, but also because they have become a de facto high-end standard. Most audiophiles have heard at least some iteration of the WATT/Puppy, and those who haven't can easily audition a pair, thanks to Wilson's nationwide dealer network.

The WATT/Puppy 8 made for a fascinating contrast to the Indra. After setting them up, I listened to a wide range of music through the Wilsons, getting reacquainted with them. Music seemed to pop through the WATT/Puppys—it sounded snappier, more emphatic. Music jumped out at me through the Wilsons; the Avalons [($19.995/pair)] drew me in. It was a contrast between extroverted and introverted sonic personalities.'

Avalon-ontwerper Neil Patel laat zich uit over de relatie tussen de kastvorm en de samenstelling van het wisselfilter:

'As to his speakers' signature faceted shapes, those, Patel explained, constitute "a functional construct that aids in the transition from 2pi to 4pi space of the driver vibrations." He also explained that, in each Avalon model, the symmetry between the crossover design and the cabinet's shape is what gives the speaker its holographic imaging. "One without the other is ineffective." '

De overgang van 2pi naar 4 pi?  ::) Ik sluit niet uit dat de man wat uit z'n nek kletst - misschien om kloonbouwers te ontmoedigen?

VrGr,

Bart J.

solitaire

Ja ja, er wordt weer aanstekelijk over geschreven. Er zal dan ook wel weer in de DIY wereld een golf aan 'Indra clones' ontstaan  :-\. Clonen is tot mijn verbazing 'in' ... en zeker Avalon's ... ???

Wolf
Hinterm Horizont geht's weiter.

snikkeltje

Quote from: Shorty on October 22, 2008, 15:20:00
He also explained that, in each Avalon model, the symmetry between the crossover design and the cabinet's shape is what gives the speaker its holographic imaging. "One without the other is ineffective." '

Idd tijdens het ontwerpen van een filter  (de zogenaamde baffle step compensatie) hou je rekening met de invloed van de baffle omdat de vorm van de baffle en de scherpe hoeken diffractie geven,. Toch "knap" hoe hij zaken die al reeds jaren bekent zijn weet te verkondigen als iets nieuws.
Amp: Onkyo Integra A-9911, CD: Onkyo Integra DX-7711, Speaker: Scanspeak Reference SE, Sub: 2x BK XLS200FF MkII , Plasma: Panasonic 42PV60, Mediaplayer: Openelec: Raspberry PI2 incl. Hifiberry Digi+

Shorty

Het blijft onbegrijpelijk dat de Avalons wél facetten hebben, maar dat die elk toch weer scherpe randen hebben.   :-X ;D

VrGr,

Bart J.