Canon Powershot S3 IS

Started by Exile, September 1, 2008, 20:28:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Exile

Een paar issues mbt genoemde camera.

1. Grotere films kopiƫren niet naar mijn computer. Laatste voorbeeld is een 480mb film die als zodanig wel kopieert maar slechts een lege file genereert. Ik kan de film op de camera wel terugbrengen naar ergens tussen 300mb en 350mb, want films van die grootte kopiƫren wel, maar ik weet niet waar de grens ligt. De manual geeft ook geen uitsluitsel. Iemand een idee?

2. Omdat ik dit probleem eerder had heb ik geprobeerd alle films onder de 500mb te houden (dat was dus geen oplossing blijkens issue #1) maar in elk geval heb ik nu fragmenten van een film, dus een aantal kleinere .wmv files, die ik aan elkaar wil 'plakken'. Hier is ongetwijfeld software voor? Heeft iemand een suggestie?

3. Tenslotte: per ongeluk is de instelling op ISO 800 komen te staan (gebeurt met dit toestel namelijk nogal makkelijk) en als resultaat heb ik een aantal geweldig opnamen (van midden in de woestijn verpest) vanwege de enorme ruis die ISO 800 genereert. Bestaat er software om deze ruis te minimaliseren?

Bij voorbaat bedankt.

Exile.

VlisChris

Voor 3: je kan kijken naar Noise Ninja. Dat is noise reduction software. Ofwel: ruis verminderen ;)
Arguing with a genius is difficult.
Arguing with an idiot is impossible.

Exile

Dank.

Voor de liefhebber, hierbij het uiteindelijke antwoord op mijn eigen vraag 1. Moraal: kijk uit met high capacity SD-cards in Canon Powershots.

Thanks. I tried another rescue program 'CardRescue' as that is freeware and therefore quicker to install, but it did not detect any bad files.

In the meantime I tried a card reader on several computers, and am slowly coming to the conclusion that the SD-card's size (4gb) is prohibitive: a 2gb card works in both internal and external card readers but the 480mb .avi-file size seems to create a problem when stored on 4gb (SD-)cards.

The Canon manual does not give any clue.

So as an action of last resort I called the Canon helpdesk and they gave me the startling information that the S3 IS, which I purchased in 4Q07, is not suitable for 4gb cards as these were not around at that time....

However, the 4b card does work fine for pictures and smaller films, but:
- the manual makes no mention of this which is quite user unfriendly and even misleading
- apparently Canon in 2007 was not able to predict that during 2008 4gb/8gb would become a de facto standard.

From the conversation it was clear that they had no idea how this comes across to consumers.
It would advisable, though, to either limit your films to around 3 mins or stick to 2gb cards (and not upgrade to 8mb cards as I would not trust them in these circumstances).

So, what I finally did, I cut approx 1 minute from the end of the film on the card in the camera to cut it down to 383mb and this now copied to my PC properly.

Net: this is not bad information and support from Canon, unlike earlier experiences (and they could not help me on a question about Zoombrowser 5.6).

Anyway, thanks for your help.