Samsung SP-A800B 1-chip DLP Video Projector

Started by Shorty, August 21, 2008, 11:17:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Shorty

"The Downside
One of the few downsides I can think of on the SP-A800B is the lack of horizontal lens shift. At $10,000, most of the competitive products in DLP and LCoS have this helpful feature. Another plus at this price range would be electronic control over zoom (for sizing the image) and focus, as well as lens shift, a feature that the Sony VPL-VW100, a.k.a. the "Ruby," offered at $10,000. However, it doesn't even come close in picture quality and performance to the 800B. If I had to trade, I would keep the lack of amenities for the superior performance any day of the week.

Conclusion
Samsung SP-A800B is certainly the best one-chip 1080p DLP front projector on the market today, regardless of price. There are a couple of esoteric models that cost a little more. Digital Projection and Runco have one-chip models at significantly higher price points, to name just two.  In fact, I would say the SP-A800B outperforms everything right up to the entry level three-chip DLP projectors that start at around $30,000. An excellent lens and a lamp with much higher light output and good stability are both improvements over the previous 710, and are superior to anything at or near the price range, including the $15,000 Sony VPL-VW200 SXRD projector I reviewed for AVRev earlier this year. Gamma, primary colors and grayscale accuracy are all also superior to the Sony. The connectivity and feature package are both excellent. The SP-A800B also includes some cool features that enhance its performance. Design-wise, it is a pleasant surprise to see that Samsung has the ability to turn out such a highly stylized and extremely attractive unit.  The Samsung SP-A800B is my new reference in front projectors below $30,000, and I will be saving every penny to purchase one
Manufacturer: Samsung 
Model SP-A800B 1-Chip DLP Projector
Reviewer Kevin Miller 
Chipset 1-Chip 
DVI Input No 
HDMI Input Yes # of HDMI Inputs 2 
HDMI Version 1.3 
# of Component Video Inputs 2 
Native Resolution 1080p 
Refresh Rate 24Hz"

Het hele artikel is te lezen op AVRev.

Gek genoeg wordt nergens in het artikel een prijs genoemd, maar die ligt kennelijk in de USA rond de $10.000.  :P

VrGr,

Bart J.