Samsung Duo Player (BluRay + HD-DVD) getest door HomeTheater

Started by Shorty, January 29, 2008, 14:56:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Shorty

HomeTheaterMagazine test de Samsung die zowel BluRays als HD-DVD's afspeelt, en van de uitkomsten wordt je niet vrolijk: bugs, bugs & bugs....  :-X Lossless Audio zal het ding pas na een firmware in mei doen, belooft de fabrikant. Maar die heeft ook al laten weten dat in diezelfde maand het ding weer uit de markt wordt gehaald.  :-[

QuoteConclusions
The Samsung BD-UP5000 is in many ways a superb high definition disc player—with arguably the best picture quality I've yet seen from high definition discs.

But it's a work in progress, with shortcomings that need to be fixed. Hopefully they will be, with future firmware. Internet reports also suggest that the problems we encountered were widespread, both before and after the update, and not simply indicative of a defective sample.

While I haven't yet found a completely bug-free Blu-ray or HD DVD player, I can't quite recommend the Samsung Duo HD as it currently stands, even apart from its inability to play back advanced audio. That conclusion may well change in the future, and I hope it does. Certainly we look forward to a follow-up to this report when Samsung has ironed out all the kinks. But with the market looking increasingly Blu, by the time we have the answers will we still be asking the questions?

[Editor's note: although the Duo HD hasn't been on the market for more than a few weeks as I write this, Samsung informed us it will be discontinued in May. Retailers will sell remaining inventory as long as it lasts. We practically can't review these things before they're gone.]

Highlights
Plays your Blu-ray Discs, HD DVDs, DVDs, and CDs
Superb picture quality
Problems remain, however, with some high definition discs
No multichannel Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio—yet

VrGr,

Bart J.

PjotrrrNL

Gelukkig is voor de meeste onder ons een dual format player geen noodzaak meer....

Shorty

Quote from: PjotrrrNL on January 29, 2008, 15:02:06
Gelukkig is voor de meeste onder ons een dual format player geen noodzaak meer....

Denk je echt? :o ;) Misschien moeten we daarover eens een topic starten...?  ;D

VrGr,

Bart J.

PjotrrrNL

searcher

Lekker single,, of stand alone  ;D

Gr Searcher