DIY speakers, Avalon clones Milestones/Soup/Eidolon clone

Started by mangew, January 30, 2007, 13:15:59

Previous topic - Next topic

mangew

Hello!

Hope this thread is in right area now, started on on another place but got an answer said this thread suits better here in this area.

I am a swedish DIY builder that searching for a new speaker project to build this spring. have done some speakers earlier but i have hardly no skills in construction a complete speaker with crossover, measurement and so on. But i can do the woodwork and manage to solder crossover after descriptioon. Therefore am i tied to do a complete project already done.

I have looking for the Avalon clones, seems popular and do seems very nice. I have found the Milestones http://homepage.mac.com/marc.heijligers/audio/milestones/index.html ; Tony Gees Soup: http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Soup.html And found on this forum a few pictures of similar speakers, diy?

Hope there is help and advice to get here. The main task i have is to decide if this is a speaker i could be satisfied with. I listen on all kind of music but i listen mostly to rock music, blues and so on. Therefore is i very important that the speaker could play rock/blues very good. I also like Singer&Songwriters style so i want a good overallspeaker with good skills also on rock.

I also want to build a good quality speaker with good units, good crossover, nice design. Ask on this forum for advice since i have seen there are a lot of good DIY projects in nederland.

I have also seen a while ago a similar speaker as the Milestone but with a 11inch woofer i think? Eidolon clone? Does anyon know if there are any good description to find on these speakers?

I have build a few speakers as i said earlier, one if the geers Eve II (designed in your country)with scan speak units. Sounds good but it was to a friend of mine. I have now a pretty big 3-way speaker with Peerless 10inc woofer, Peerless 6,5 middle range and Scan Speak 9700 tweeter. Sounds good, have nice sound stage, pretty detailed, play pretty deep bass. But sometimes i can feel the middlerange is a bit bright and also the bass level not so strong.

Pictures of these i have build:

BernHardN

;) it askes for more pictures this last foto

BernHardN

Onkyo TX-NR818
Front: Vifa Sense
Sony Oled KD-65AG9

SVS Sub
Apple tv4K
Shanling MTW100

mangew

BernHardN . Ok, but this thread should develop to a new speaker not to history speakers  8) But of course, i will share information about previous projects if asked.

BernHardN

Onkyo TX-NR818
Sony Oled KD-65AG9

SVS Sub
Apple tv4K
Shanling MTW100

CarloPJB

Damned they look great.........!
Very nice.Did you use real leather?

fgroen

Looks you've got awesome wood working skills. Maybe you could open another topic describing these projects in more detail. I bet you'll find a lot of interested readers here.

As for the Avalon clones: there's quite a few out there. (also a pair in my audio room...  ;D)

Marc has done some exhoustive work on his milestones indeed. Speaker unit line-up is identical to the Avalon Opus. However, his project has never been intended to create a clone of the Opus.

He also made a summary on all publications known by him regarding Avalon clone projects. <<link>>
Furthermore, his site contains a treasure of information.

Also make sure you read Tony's website regarding the SOUP. Another design ready to be built. Lots of people are pleased with that design. On request, Tony can send you a detailed drawing that will help you construct the cabinets.

As for myself: I think that the SOUP's and Milestones will be capable of very good sonic results. My own speakers are a size or two bigger, housing 12" Eton Bass unit and the C2-90 midrange. These speakers are true "omnivores". From small ensembles to massive symphonic rock. Basically, they reveal the intentions of the recorded materials. Drawback is that also the flaws of the recorded materials are revealed mercilessly.

I couldn't live without my babies anymore...  ;) ;D

At the moment, I'm busy with a pair of Milestones/opus like speakers. My intention is to drive them through the Milestones passive filters, as well as active filtering. By that time, I will be able to share what I think of the Milestones...  ;D 8)
Een aktief leven geeft meer voldoening dan een passief leven.

Erik van Voorst (in memoriam)

Artistic work here...I quite like the choosen types of wood....especially on the Faber Monitor 8)
HIROYASU KONDO has been mystical in his relationship to physical matter but as a professor of electrical engineering and molecular mechanics, his audio engineering is of the highest order.  It's about looking for years at how to achieve a certain sound and adopting technical solutions to get there!

mangew

Quote from: fgroen on January 30, 2007, 14:32:38
Looks you've got awesome wood working skills. Maybe you could open another topic describing these projects in more detail. I bet you'll find a lot of interested readers here.

As for the Avalon clones: there's quite a few out there. (also a pair in my audio room...  ;D)

Marc has done some exhoustive work on his milestones indeed. Speaker unit line-up is identical to the Avalon Opus. However, his project has never been intended to create a clone of the Opus.

He also made a summary on all publications known by him regarding Avalon clone projects. <<link>>
Furthermore, his site contains a treasure of information.

Also make sure you read Tony's website regarding the SOUP. Another design ready to be built. Lots of people are pleased with that design. On request, Tony can send you a detailed drawing that will help you construct the cabinets.

As for myself: I think that the SOUP's and Milestones will be capable of very good sonic results. My own speakers are a size or two bigger, housing 12" Eton Bass unit and the C2-90 midrange. These speakers are true "omnivores". From small ensembles to massive symphonic rock. Basically, they reveal the intentions of the recorded materials. Drawback is that also the flaws of the recorded materials are revealed mercilessly.

I couldn't live without my babies anymore...  ;) ;D

At the moment, I'm busy with a pair of Milestones/opus like speakers. My intention is to drive them through the Milestones passive filters, as well as active filtering. By that time, I will be able to share what I think of the Milestones...  ;D 8)

Thanks for the answer. Sounds really interesting speaker you have. I have seen a bigger example of the "Milestone" with bigger Eton Bass...mabye yours? Do you have good description of yours? since i also interested in building with a bigger basdriver lika a 11 och 12inch Eton.

Pictures of yours?

I mabye put up some more description of my earlier projects if there is interesting.

But i still want more opinions about the Avalon clones, pictures and so on.

Interficior

I think you mean these speakers?

I like your work, especially the second one, that stand, just brilliant!
Take it or lease it

mangew

Quote from: Interficior on January 30, 2007, 15:56:40
I think you mean these speakers?

I like your work, especially the second one, that stand, just brilliant!

Thanks for the link, seems to have a lot of information to read the following days.

The stand is also DIY, suits the speaker well.

mangew

Does anyone have listening impressions on these speakers that have built or have listening on others DIY avalonspeakers, or the original Avalonspeakers and could say how they seem to perform?

All advice i can get is valuable since i hardly ever heard any  speakers with T&P units.

Have got some good information abou the diy speakers, but all i can get is appreciate.

If there is interest i will the following days post a thread about my former diy speakers.

I can write about my system also if there are interesting.

Rob_Dingen

Hi

I listen frequently to the milestone speakers and help a little with filtering and build a filter for my friend's Eidolon clone.
Also listen frequently to the original Avalon speakers like the Eidolon Diamond several times the normal Eidolon the Vision a couple of times and as last the Isis.
In my ears you won't be disappointed if you build the milestones with the same components as Marc did.
If you are interested in the filter I build for the Eidolon you can mail me.
On the milestone and the Eidolon you can play al kinds of music classic pop rock what you want and all sound good.

Rob

mangew

Rob: Thanks, have sent you a mail and hope you can send me the information you have.

FFF

Quote from: mangew on January 31, 2007, 22:03:05
Rob: Thanks, have sent you a mail and hope you can send me the information you have.

The information about the milestones are on the Website of Marc:
http://homepage.mac.com/marc.heijligers/audio/milestones/index.html

This information is very complete and detailed.

The soup from Tony gee is also on his site:
http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Soup.html

These websites are both writen in Engelish.

I've build the soup's also, you can find this project on this website, very nice speaker, the design and the sound quality. I think these speakers are able to respone every kind of music.

Jean Pierre

Quote from: mangew on January 30, 2007, 13:51:10
BernHardN . Ok, but this thread should develop to a new speaker not to history speakers  8) But of course, i will share information about previous projects if asked.

lovely setup! I think i've seen it before on hififorum.nu, could that be correct?  You've come to the right place to gather information for the avalon clones! 

PS: Do you listen to kent? I love them, they are really good but only the swedish albums: Du och jag döden       
och vapen & ammunition   kent rocks ;p

mangew

Quote from: Jean Pierre on February  2, 2007, 17:14:50
lovely setup! I think i've seen it before on hififorum.nu, could that be correct?  You've come to the right place to gather information for the avalon clones! 

PS: Do you listen to kent? I love them, they are really good but only the swedish albums: Du och jag döden       
och vapen & ammunition   kent rocks ;p

Hello, yes it´s Hififorum.nu where i earlier posted my past speaker buildings. Think it´s a lot of nice DIY speakers here in nederlands so therefore i hope to get all the answers to build a avalon clone.

And No, i don´t listen to Kent..not my kind of music there  8)

mangew

Any one that could give more impresson of these Avalon clones?

Anyone that have any other suggestion of nice, serious and well documented speakers?

The language problems may do i miss any other good speakerprojects on this forum. I have seen a couple interesting projects beside these Avalon clones.

During next week i will choose what speaker project i will start to build.

I do not really understand...if you say you miss other interesting speakerprojects on this forum...I think it is full of pro speakerprojects and very well documented...

If as you say language is of no problem you can browse through this project...

http://www.htforum.nl/yabbse/index.php?topic=8497.0
HIROYASU KONDO has been mystical in his relationship to physical matter but as a professor of electrical engineering and molecular mechanics, his audio engineering is of the highest order.  It's about looking for years at how to achieve a certain sound and adopting technical solutions to get there!

mangew

Quote from: Erik van Voorst on February  5, 2007, 13:06:37
I do not really understand...if you say you miss other interesting speakerprojects on this forum...I think it is full of pro speakerprojects and very well documented...

If as you say language is of no problem you can browse through this project...

http://www.htforum.nl/yabbse/index.php?topic=8497.0

Erik: I think you missunderstand me alomst completely  ;) I say according to languageproblems since i not understand dutch may i miss good speakerprojects during my searches.

And i have languageproblems, i can translate threads through Babelfish to English but i think this program misses a lot in translation so i appreciate if you have good tip to give and all help and answers on my questions is grateful.

Okay I get it...even communication in the same language...is an art...sorry  :-[

This forum is however very willing so fire away... ;)

Regards
Erik

BernHardN

I think the best is to plan your next vakation here in Holland  ;D

Onkyo TX-NR818
Sony Oled KD-65AG9

SVS Sub
Apple tv4K
Shanling MTW100

mangew

Quote from: BernHardN on February  5, 2007, 16:16:45
I think the best is to plan your next vakation here in Holland  ;D

Absolutely, i have for a few years ago worked for a dutch bank as a consult within programming/banksystem.

Now does i not work for them anymore, unfortunate  since i mabye could seen these speakers by myself before build them.

I Think the project Erik linked to before is out of budget and not possible to build without an complete factory for woodwork...Extremely serious project! 8) But other good projects would be interesting to see if you have any suggestions?

Avalon clones(as thread is about from beginning) does seem to be very interesting but i should not decide before evaluated other projects to.

BernHardN

Onkyo TX-NR818
Sony Oled KD-65AG9

SVS Sub
Apple tv4K
Shanling MTW100

mangew

Have almost forgotten, yes it´s in progress now and i hope i will end this project before the summer so a couple of months to build.

Have a thread in a swedish forum that mabye will be more updated but will try to keep this updated too.

http://www.euphonia-audioforum.se/forums/index.php?showtopic=4008

Have done some simulation about the finish:

Have plans to paint the cabinet and the grey is a 10-15mm thick aluminium plate that will be CNC machined.

Could also be veneer:

mangew

First pictures of the building:

A lot of MDF, have bougt 3 whole boards of 19 and 22mm MDF. Did discover that i need at least one more so 4 MDF boards for these speakers.

Have done some tests how the pieces fits: