Kharma Matrix MP 150 (klasse D) mono-blocks

Started by Shorty, May 19, 2006, 16:29:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Shorty

Op Positive Feedback.

QuoteI've experienced a few Class D amps at this point, including three of the small chassis affordable ones, and two larger, stereo amps. Some are capable of throwing enormous walls of detail at you, with truly phenomenal resolving power. Most guilty of this was the Uniwave Tek Anaco 2, whose stage was like a scaled-down doll's house with chiseled, flat images placed upon a chilly, frozen soundscape. This amp was unique in my sample: it alone was on the chilly side of neutral—all of the others veered towards warmth. I remember being mightily impressed five or so years ago by the first Bel Canto Class D amp, the 200.2. It was surprisingly warm and tube-like, and yet brandished solid-state power. The TacT was (and remains) an impressive device. And now there's NuForce, a market phenomenon by any measure. I just heard the NuForce Ref 8.5 mono-blocks. They may be the best sounding amps you can buy for $1900—I dunno. I'm not familiar with that end of the market. I do like their dark and weighty tonal balance—darker and weightier than the MP150s, which in turn have about average tonal balance, but more weight than most amps I've tried. But that doesn't mean the NuForce scale beyond their price tag. They are very easy to listen to—initially. They are the tubeiest sounding solid-state amps I've ever heard—not modern tubey, but in the old-fashioned sense: rolled on top, fat on the bottom and oh-so-soft all over. Their sins and distortions are uniformly on the side of euphony, and contribute to a rapid descent into boredom. Beyond that, the NuForce, along with most of these amps, has imaging issues, with vaguely shaped, balloon-sized replicas that bear no relation to actual instruments. All have decent soundstage width and modest depth. The MP150's images also tend to be large, with soft borders, but they're well formed—and quite the opposite of chiseled miniaturization. Resolution, however, is right up there with your expectations for the best of the Class D category. And don't look to the MP150s to provide euphony.

QuoteFirst, it is not the case that everyone is employing one of the three or four basic, off-the-shelf, chip sets (Tripath, ICE, UdC, etc), and just plops it onto a circuit board. When you decide to work in Class D, the starting point is (or should be) a concept on paper. You are faced with two areas of major design decision points: 1) Control Strategy, which has some 14 parameters, each of which requires a decision, and 2) Power Conversion Strategy, with an additional three. Bruno figures these work out to 432 thinkable "concepts", or combinations. About 100 of these have actually been attempted. Then, once beyond the schematic, there are hardware and circuit board level decisions. There is enormous variation—Class A amp designs actually present fewer permutations!

QuoteI can vouch that the MP150s are wish fulfillment for owners of Kharma speakers. (I would have loved just a touch darker tonal balance—for my taste, that would have been ideal.) This is the Kharma Ceramique sound fully realized. I'm not sure if you'll ever find a better synergy—certainly not at this price point. Subjectively, based on what I'm hearing, I'd venture the amp has the ideal electrical characteristics for the Kharma CRM 3.2 speakers. It fulfills the speakers' potential. (I had to put qualifiers in this paragraph, because the MP150 is aimed at the Matrix and Ceramique levels, Kharma's lower rungs. An Exquisite level amp will be available soon.)

The Kharma MP150 offered at $6800/pair is a freak occurrence, a rare marketplace anomaly. This is a case of extreme value. Had they been packaged in a larger, fancier chassis, I have no doubt they would have no problem selling at $10,000 or more. I can't think of a competitive solid-state amp at anywhere near this price. The one that comes to mind is the darTZeel NHB-108 with its $18,000 MSRP. The MP150 is better.

En ja: volgens de recensent zijn ze gebaseerd op een ontwerp van Bruno Putzeys - dus de UcD-modules, neem ik aan....

VrGr,

Bart J.

Robbo

Ik heb een preproductie uitvoering kunnen beluisten op de Kharma 3.2F met Audio-Note DAC en Primare DVD30 als loopwerk,  maar was toch veel meer onder de indruk van dezelfde speaker (lees: echte WOW factor) met EMMLab DAC6, EMMLab SACD1000 en Lamm ML2.1

Maar goed dat kan ook in de combinatie liggen. 

Zover ik weet zijn deze blokken door Van Oosterum ism Putzeys ontworpen.  Dus niet zomaar even ontwerpje in elkaar geflanst.

Dat is wel weer duidelijk geworden met de grotere broer van de MP150, de MP350.    Daar hadden ze de eerste versie, tijdens mijn bezoek vorig jaar juni, net uit het 'lab'.  De foto's verschijnen nu pas op hun website.  Verder is er nog niks over te vinden, dus of ze al in de verkoop zijn ?    Ze staan in de Exquisite lijn, dus reken maar op 20.000-30.000 euro per set.

http://www.kharma.com/downloads/hq_pictures.htm#cesb

jan-rotterdam

Mooie versterkers voor het geld (2500,- per stuk), ik heb ze gehoord op de Kharma CRM-3.2FE. Ook de MP-350 waar "Robbo" over praat heb ik gehoord al was dit tijdens de ontwerp fase waar men het prototype gebruikte tijdens een demo, duidelijk een hele andere categorie dan de MP-150.

De MP-350 zal een serieuze tegenstander worden van de ook vermelde Lamm versterkers. Laatste keer dat ik in Breda bij Kharma was stond er al een set gereed, men was alleen nog wel bezig met het "finetunen" van de behuizing om resonanties te verminderen.

Link naar topic

Groeten Jan

Robbo

Goed geschreven artikel dat van Positive Feedback.

Gelukkig niet zo'n 'wow, dit je hebben' artikel, maar een prima analyse van de kwaliteiten van het product, en beslis zelf maar of dit iets voor je is.  Zo moeten alle reviews geschreven worden !

murena

;) Vorige week m'n speaker ( Ceramic II type v)laten upgraden naar de laatste techniek van kharma, toen m'n speakers beluitert via de MP 150 versterkers , erg mooi.!!!
kon ze in laten bouwen in m'n speakers voor  Euro 3500,00  all in.

Eric
kharma DB7-S se en kharma enigma signature bekabeling en Sugden DAP800 en Sugen FBA800 versterkers,
Audio analogue CD

murena

;) Vorige week m'n speaker ( Ceramic II type v)laten upgraden naar de laatste techniek van kharma, toen m'n speakers beluistert via de MP 150 versterkers , erg mooi.!!!
kon ze in laten bouwen in m'n speakers voor  Euro 3500,00  all in.

Eric
kharma DB7-S se en kharma enigma signature bekabeling en Sugden DAP800 en Sugen FBA800 versterkers,
Audio analogue CD

Robbo

Da's wel interessant.  Scheelt in aanschafprijs, 2x powercord, 2x speakerkabel en 2 componenten minder in je interieur. 

Maar Ceramique II type v ??    Is dat een voorloper van de 2.3 ?

murena

dit zijn de types waar OLS mee begonnen is, de eerste ceramic series.
Met de Revelator van scan speak, C77 van Thiel, en de Eton 8/800-37 laag.
Nu is de Tweeter vervangen voor een titanium versie en de middentoner voor een C78, en NIET de C79 !!
En filter aangepast.
Op de foto staat hij nog met oude bezetting.
De MP150 is dan goedkoper aangezien er dan geen behuizing om heen hoeft, als hij ingebouwd wordt.
Audio analogue CD

jan-rotterdam

De Kharna MP-150 zijn aan een test onderworpen.

Link naar review

Groeten Jan

Deleted member

Quote from: jan-rotterdam on July 22, 2006, 13:19:25
De Kharna MP-150 zijn aan een test onderworpen.

Link naar review

Groeten Jan

Dat was precies de reden voor de topicstarter om dit topic te openen! Zie link bovenaan!  ;)

jan-rotterdam

QuoteDat was precies de reden voor de topicstarter om dit topic te openen! Zie link bovenaan!

Oeps, effe gemist  ;D ;D ;D

Groeten Jan

Wijx wondere wereld

Versterking: Gryphon Attila
Bron: Benchmark dac 3B
Luidsprekers: Milestones
Bekabeling: XTC (Henno Appel) en Pink Faun