INTEGRA DTR 10.5 A/V RECEIVER 1STE BUILD TO ORDER RECEIVER

Started by frankly, January 6, 2006, 14:46:32

Previous topic - Next topic

frankly

Bij PC's bestaat het al jaren, en vanaf nu dus ook bij HC equipment,
een echte build to-order receiver; http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_13_1/integra-dtr-105-receiver-1-2006-part-1.html

Secrets Product Review - Integra DTR 10.5 Flagship 7.1 A/V Receiver - January, 2006 by Piero Gabucci

Introduction
OK, here's the scenario. I get an e-mail asking me if I want to review the new Integra DTR 10.5 A/V receiver, and naturally my response was, of course. The next e-mail then tells me to sign on to their website and configure the review unit the way I want.
Immediately what comes to mind (other than, "Oh . . . Cool!") is that this is the future of purchasing mid to high-end receivers. And why not, computers are modular and parts can be added or removed from the chassis to accommodate upgrades and improvements, so why not order audio components the way you want them to begin with?

Well that is exactly what Integra has done. The "Built to Order" DTR 10.5 comes with a significant amount of standard features, but the lure here is customizing it before you buy it. I'll discuss in detail some of the standard and optional modules later.

You can try out the Build to Order feature, without actually buying one, at this URL:
http://www.integrahometheater.com/buildtoorder.cfm.

Integra as you may know is a spin-off of parent company Onkyo, no slouch in the A/V world either. Considered the high-end series for Onkyo and meant for the custom installer, the Integra line furthers their reputation with the flagship DTR 10.5.

The Design

Touted as the first home theater receiver to be built around a modular-based architecture, the flagship Integra DTR 10.5 is a THX Ultra2-certified receiver capable of handling three independent zones. The 10.5 also boasts PC set-up applications via Ethernet and RS-232.

With a minimum of 150 WPC at 8 ohms with 0.05% THD, or 200 WPC at 6 ohms, the amplifier produces continuous power output for all channels. It is even rated into 3 ohms, at 340 watts of dynamic power. So, the days of receivers all not being able to handle low impedance speakers may be coming to a close (I suspect it will continue to be an issue with budget receivers though). As you might expect, this unit is heavy at more than 70 pounds, and almost 9 inches high.
The front of the unit is actually quite conservative, save a concave face and rather large flip down front panel, activated by a discrete button. Adorning the face is a small silver on/off standby mode button, a large display screen, and a strikingly large silver volume control which stands out dramatically from the black face. Below the display are a series of buttons that activate potentially fourteen input functions. Two tape, tuner, phono, CD, and DVD, join seven video sources and a new Net Audio for Internet Radio, more on that later. The video inputs are labeled 1 through 7 on the faceplate, yet can be renamed on the LED display.

Some information is displayed large and readable from a distance; other information is quite small, perhaps even a bit too small. What is obvious from a distance is the input source, such as DVD, and listening mode, such as THX or Direct modes. On the small side, for example, volume level is placed in the lower right hand corner. Even scrolling up and down it doesn't change size. A nice feature may have been when the volume is being altered, the unit might have enlarged the setting to be easily viewed, and return to the diminutive size once volume level is chosen.

By hitting the Display button, the large screen tells you which type of processing is occurring, for example Dolby Digital in 3/2.1, and then disappears.

The red-lit indicator for the active surround speakers is barely visible, likewise for speaker A or B selection. Above the on/off button is a nice feature: as you operate the remote, the receiver let's you know it's receiving the transmission through a blinking indicator. With the information on display so small, it's a consolation to know you're doing something. Considering the battery life in the remote, this is also important to know your remote is communicating with the component.

Behind the flip-down door, you'll find the inputs for video source number 7 mentioned above. It gives you an optical, S-Video, as well as RCA video and audio left and right. This is for connecting something like a video camera to play back your vacation videos. A stereo headphone jack adorns the other side.

If you're prone to making your input selections from the receiver rather than the remote, here is where you make your choices, such as setup, listening modes, tone control, zone selection, tuning, and so on.
Very much like the remote, if you decide to change the listening mode, you push once on the button then spin another to find your selection. Activating the second zone must also be done by pressing the alternate zone more than once, at which time the input selection lights up with a second color. In other words, you may see one color lit on one component for Zone 1 and a second color and component lit for Zone 2. I will tell you this takes some getting used to, pressing and spinning, pressing and spinning.

The rear of the 10.5 is, well, however you'd like. I'll explain that statement next, but let me describe what is standard for the Integra DTR 10.5. There are color-coded (THX required) speaker posts arranged along the bottom, two complete sets of fourteen posts to be exact. Also there are a full set of pre-outs with two subwoofer connections; one can be used for speaker B, more on that later as well.

Along with an RS232 port, the DTR 10.5 has an array of 12V triggers, one with a massive 200 mA current capacity and four with 100 mA. Finally, an RI connection for other Integra components, a switched AC outlet, and a detachable power cord complete the normal rear accessories. Every other connection is modular-based and either standard or optional.

OPPO  UDP 203 Regio MOD - BPD103 Regio Mod - Onkyo TX-NR676E - VU+ Ultimo 4K - Samsung QLED 50Q64A - SAMSUNG EU43MU6100 - VU+ UNO4K SE - SONY PS4PRO - Epson TW7000 -  QNAP TS 451A (4 x 4Tb) - Kef 2005.2 (5.1) + Rel Quake - QED Ultra Flat - Harmony Ultimate One (2)

frankly

Modules

The removable modules have a vertical design. A single screw removed with a hex screw at the top and bottom hold them in place. Integra offers seven optional modules along with the four included modules for the DTR-10.5. What you do get standard: A module for digital audio, which has eight each optical and coaxial outputs; A module for analog audio, which includes nine two-channel inputs and an additional, dedicated phono input; Also on this module are five outputs, which can be assigned for up to three zones. The third supplied module is for video: six composite and S-Video input sources (up-converted to 480i), and four assignable outputs, three High Definition compatible component inputs and one output. And, lastly, included is an AM/FM tuner module.

The optional modules of course are the interesting ones.

● The iLink module is a Firewire connection for digital multi-channel audio, both DVD-Audio and SACD. One of the benefits of course is bass management.

● An HDMI module with two inputs and one output for video.

● Integration with your computer is handled with a Net-Tune Ethernet module. Including Internet radio, it gives the ability to access and play back your computer stored music: mp3, WAV, and WMA files with the aid of a downloadable music file system Net-Tune Central.

● For component video, you have a choice of either a BNC or an RCA module, each with one set of inputs and one set of outputs.

● Also a choice is for multi-channel audio inputs: either a module with a pair of RCA connections, or a module which includes one set of RCA and an AES/EBU connection. Either will allow bass management through the DTR 10.5 or bypassed for pure audio.

Integra sends along with their lengthy instruction manual a Quick Guide for those like me who prefer an immediate charge followed by the full set-up process. Otherwise, use the extensive manual, some common sense and do it properly.

What you will find as you begin the set-up, are the incredible amount of options and decisions you must make to take the fullest advantage of the DTR 10.5. Thus Integra sends along accompanying their manual a System Settings Notebook, which allows you to keep track of all your selections. No less than 10 pages of possible choices can be recorded for future reference. I'm surprised they don't have a program for your computer to do the same.

Before you can set up the Integra, obviously the number of zones and the speaker configuration for each zone must be determined. With fourteen sets of binding posts on the rear, you're able to set up two 7.1 channel systems (Main A and Main B).

If you'd prefer to load up one, some speakers in the second would be sacrificed. For example you may decide to bi-amp a second set of fronts truly creating that wall of sound while maintaining a 5.1 system in the other. Much discussion these days of multiple subwoofers and the 10.5 can accommodate that desire. Of course that removes the sub from the second room. A third 2-channel zone is also possible.

Keeping track of all those speaker cables can be troublesome and for that, Integra also includes speaker cable color-coded tags or labels.

OPPO  UDP 203 Regio MOD - BPD103 Regio Mod - Onkyo TX-NR676E - VU+ Ultimo 4K - Samsung QLED 50Q64A - SAMSUNG EU43MU6100 - VU+ UNO4K SE - SONY PS4PRO - Epson TW7000 -  QNAP TS 451A (4 x 4Tb) - Kef 2005.2 (5.1) + Rel Quake - QED Ultra Flat - Harmony Ultimate One (2)

frankly

Module Forgotten

Ok so shame on me. So let's talk about why the DTR 10.5 is a perfect receiver for me. When I first went through my requirements for features, I had no need for HDMI, I had neither a monitor nor component with HDMI.

You know where I'm going with this already. I customized the Integra and ordered all but the HDMI module. Now the good news is I can get online and order the HDMI module if I so desire. Thank you Integra.

Set-up

The DTR 10.5 takes you through the typical yet thorough set-up menus. The first set-up is for hardware, specifically the remote control. If by chance you've placed this receiver in a room with other Onkyo/Integra products, you may select an alternate ID in case of interference.

I have already discussed the speaker options afforded to you with the 10.5. However, one excellent feature is the ability to set speaker impedance differently for each; fronts, center, and surrounds from 4 to 8 ohms.

Speaker crossover can be set differently for both Speaker A and Speaker B setups. You're reminded that THX is set for 80 Hz, but you can also use 40 Hz to 150 Hz at 10 Hz increments including full band if you're either not using a subwoofer or if you just prefer all speakers to receive the entire bandwidth. Also you may specify the low pass filter for LFE signals in a similar fashion.

A notch filter for low frequencies allows you to make adjustments to your room response if need be. You specify the frequency Depth in 0.5 increments from 0 dB to -15 dB. The Width (the Q) can also be selected in the range you'd prefer, say for example between 95 Hz-105 Hz.

The built-in test tones for calibration are fixed at the THX-required 82 dB. In other words, don't be calibrating late at night, the master volume control is inactive. Adjustments for all channels in 0.5dB increments from -15 dB to +12 dB are available.

THX audio set-up is predominately a subwoofer issue. Ultra2 requires subwoofers to perform down to 20 Hz, if your subwoofer is not down to the challenge, choose No and disregard the Boundary Gain compensation for excessive room bass. This can be set for either speaker A or B setups.

Finally in this set of menus, are the audio and video output assignments. You are afforded a lot of options for assigning both analog and digital audio sources, and likewise for video, including HDMI (if you chose that module). This is the opportunity for you to take advantage of the outputs for all three zones.

The input setup menu is extremely involved. You may choose a different configuration for each of the 14 sources from DVD to Net Audio. For each source there are seven menus including Audio, Video, Listening Mode, Character Edit (changing the name on the OSD), Volume Control, Delay (Global, for A/V sync), and 12V trigger assignment.

Audio assignment consists of choosing: the analog audio, multi-channel (5.1 or 7.1), subwoofer sensitivity from 0 dB to +15 dB, the digital audio assignment (choose one of the six coax, or six optical), and whether you want it automatically detected, and finally if you're using the i.Link for your connection.

The video mode is self-explanatory, assigning the right connection for each source, while the listening mode allows you to preset your preferences for the specific source playback mode. For example, you may choose to play back DTS material as THX, or analog material as PLII/Neo:6. These are just presets and can be altered during the actual performance. Of course the benefits of this feature are huge. Once every source is set to your liking, you never have to fumble to set your preferences.

I cannot begin to describe the options for the Listening Mode set-up. Source material such as DTS, Dolby Digital, or i.Link (for both DVD-Audio or SACD independently), have numerous preset options. You may choose to play back Analog/PCM sources in Pure Audio or Direct mode (which has no processing associated). Needless to say, each listening mode, such as mono or stereo can each be altered for Re-EQ, channel inputs, etc., each with specific options for LFE levels and Re-EQ (Re-EQ is described as adjusting the treble in soundtracks for home theater so that they are not harsh, since the high frequencies can be boosted at the theater so that they are heard by viewers who may be 50 feet away from the speakers).

There are a dozen listening modes, including; Mono, Stereo, Direct/Pure Audio, Multi-channel, i.Link for DVD-Audio and SACD, Dolby Digital, Pro Logic, THX, and even Dolby Headphone. Each has a set-up sub-menu for your preferences. For example, THX has modes for EX, 5-channel, 2-channel and how you want each set of speakers (fronts, center, rear, and subwoofer) to perform, and both THX Cinema for large spaces and Ultra2 Cinema for playing 5.1 sources as a 7.1 setup.

I think you get the picture . . . . plenty of features to suit your individual tastes.

Audio adjustments allow for tone control: bass, mid, treble for each channel from -12 dB to +12 dB in 1 dB increments, including bass EQ for the subwoofer. This can come in very handy when working with speakers that are very different from one another in the front vs. the rear of your room.

A preference menu gives you options for volume control, headphone level set-up, the OSD set-up and position on your screen. Speaking of the display, you may also change the character display for each input, to remind you which input you are working with.

Noteworthy is the network set-up feature for manually interfacing with your PC network. If the DTR 10.5 is connected to a broadband router, no set-up is really required because the receiver is defaulted to Enabled, or Automatic. Setting it to Disabled requires manual inputs for the IP address.

Lastly, you may lock your selections, and also, like a computer, see the master firmware version, including i.Link, Net-tune, and HDMI, so you will know if you have the latest version when you check the Onkyo website.

What is conspicuously missing is an Auto Room EQ, common in receivers even half this price. I'm not sure that is a criticism rather than an observation. Most would subscribe to room EQ as still somewhat controversial. I suspect Integra has catered to the professional installers who certainly handles EQ in their own way.

Operations

The operations of the DTR 10.5 must begin with the remote control, which is a significant piece of equipment. Many high end receiver manufacturers subscribe to the theory that no matter what they include, the end user will undoubtedly replace it with an after market universal remote, while other manufacturers prefer including a substantial learning remote out of the box. Integra is one of the latter. This remote truly has everything. It is a good size, with plenty of controls. This polished grey metal-faced unit is about 9 inches long and although rectangular, the bottom is contoured to your hand.

Here are my issues with the remote:

Firstly, it's very complicated and actually over-featured. The amount of information on the remote forced Integra to make the buttons too small. Other than the volume/channel buttons, all other buttons are the same size. The unit is somewhat ergonomic, and when placed in your hand, your thumb is right on the volume, channel controls, and the rocker set-up Enter button.

Secondly, the main LCD display (about 1 cm x 2 cm) indicates which component and which input are controlled, but the letters are small and hard to read. The entire unit is backlit, but very softly, and even with fresh batteries, is in no way understandable in the dark. The demanding remote is a battery eater and forced me to replace them several times in the four months I've operated the DTR-10.5.

Functionally on the other hand, it is a remarkable unit in its content and controls. The scrolling-roller under the small display can be pushed to access the amplifier and thus choose the correct input. Once the input is chosen, the unit reverts to the controls for that particular input. If you decide to switch inputs again, you push down on the roller.

frankly

Net-Tune

I'll admit I'm one of the few who still hasn't caught onto the whole idea of storing massive amounts of music on my computer, and I really don't spend much time listening to Detroit Wheels Rock station (I live on the East Coast) over the Internet. I suppose if my house were larger, where a whole house audio system would be beneficial, I'd probably change my tune, excuse the pun.

I do however have DSL service at home, and along with the DTR 10.5, an Ethernet cable connected to my modem, I'm promised Internet radio. Likewise, if you download from Integra's website Net-Tune Central, Integra's program for your computer, you can organize your mp3, WAV and WMA files for easy access for your receiver.

I'm sorry to say, I never got the Internet Radio to work properly. The manual did warn that DTR 10.5 does not support PPPoE connections, of which my Verizon DSL service is one, and that there may need some tweaking. Frustratingly I tried customizing IP addresses, etc., to no avail. I didn't bother contacting Verizon to try and remedy the situation; I guess to me it wasn't that important. Someday it may be, and the Integra will be there for me. It is not necessarily an Integra problem.

Downloading Net-Tune Central, the proprietary music manager software from Integra, yielded similar results. Although the receiver did finally acknowledge the server, I could not configure the receiver to play back the few mp3 files I had stored on my computer. Blame me if you'd like, but if I'm the average user, then Integra needs to provide better support for this product. Neither the manual nor the website was very helpful. I suspect it is similar for all the receivers that are beginning to have Internet Radio capabilities. It will just be a matter of time to work out the issues.

Evaluation

As I'm reviewing a full 5.1 package from Revel, the Concerta line, I connected them to the Integra.

Listening to Dar Williams new CD My Better Self, activating the Integra's Pure Audio mode, and deactivating the subwoofer, gave me unexpurgated two-channel playback. Her voice was soft, yet full at times, and I was able to detect nuances completely different than the Melody tube amp I've become accustomed to evaluating two-channel material. Her duet with Marshall Crenshaw on a Neil Young remake, "Everybody Knows this is Nowhere" revealed the upper range of her voice, yet made me a Marshall Crenshaw fan again. The Integra 10.5 portrayed his voice as easy going, yet I sensed a warm character to his vocals.

Another remake on this CD is Dar's rendition of Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb" with backup vocals featuring Ani DiFranco. The wonderful meshing of contrasting styles between the two female vocals is intoxicating. The DTR 10.5 was soft around the edges on this track, not quite crisp, but that only adds to the sultry nature of the track.

Multi-channel audio evaluation required for me to activate the subwoofer of course and set the listening mode to Multi-channel. This is where I kick myself for not asking Integra to send along a DVD player taking full advantage of the i.Link capability. Through i.Link, the Integra playback for DVD-Audio uses its internal DACs.

A mess of analog cables later, I popped in a number of surround sound music sources, including DVD Audio, SACD, DTS, and Dolby, and was treated with clean and properly balanced playback from the DTR 10.5. However, what was noticeable was a tendency to be overly bright on DVD Audio. Perhaps due to having to use analog connections from the player, where its own DACs were decoding the bitstream.

A few more multi-channel disks later, and I felt that other than DTS or Dolby material, I found DVD Audio and SACD playback a bit flat. The Integra in this case, for analog reasons, required more attention. I did finally configure it to my liking, deeper focused bass and less brightness. This is a good enough reason to do what you must to use a digital source such as i.Link.

Of course, you don't buy a receiver like this for music exclusively. Watching many DVDs during my time with the 10.5, I was extremely pleased with its surround options and listening modes.

Although I wanted to like this movie more than I actually did, Batman Begins was no less a nice test, and the Integra came through, entertaining me nonetheless. Dialogue was warm and focused, clashing swords were metallic, and explosions were powerful, coming from a significant amplifier in the DTR 10.5. This is what this receiver was designed to do.

The Fantastic 4 offers a delight of surround effects, despite the average entertainment value of the movie. Scene 26 could soon become a reference demo for surround sound. In the scene, a heat-seeking missile is chasing the Human flame Johnny Storm. As he is able to fly, the sense of burning flame is thick as he races by you, while the missile thunders past you. The DTR 10.5 delivers with exceptional detail later in the scene as shattering glass fills the air, and the shatter is full of character. The heroic musical score is clean and elegant, as it's seamlessly integrated with the sound effects.

Less than completely satisfied with my multi-channel audio results, I saved the last music DVD for Robert Plant and Jimmy Page's DTS version of "No Quarter-Unledded". The Integra, rich and textural instruments, and vocals from Morocco and Snowdonia paired with half of Led Zeppelin finally blew me away. Robert Plant's voice was thick and rich, but what came through especially for me was Page's guitar playing. The DTR 10.5 performed remarkably.

Conclusions

Evaluating the performance of the Integra, besides a pleasure, is actually very subjective; hmm let me explain. There definitely exists a sound characteristic associated with the DTR 10.5: Highs are handled cleanly. Lows are deep and punchy. Midrange is definitely its strength. I would not exactly say the sound is warm, but perhaps I would say natural.

Ironically, just like the flexibility in the architecture, there exists a tremendous amount in sound adjustability in the Integra. Treble, mid, and bass can be altered to your liking for almost all playback options. Two-channel isn't just two-channel, or 5.1 isn't just 5.1, there are many levels to each. Although I've had the receiver for some time (thank you for letting me keep it this long Integra), I can honestly say I ran out of time listening to material in the various modes, and to my personal preferences.

My point is that the DTR 10.5 demands a long-term relationship with its owner. You can tweak this unit to death and still not find your own perfect setting. Sounds like quite a ride if you're willing.

Integrated with your PC, the Integra presents itself as a potential center of any state-of-the-art home A/V system, and with authority I might add.

Finally, ask anyone who's recently purchased a quality receiver at any price range in the last year or so, what their biggest gripe for that receiver was, and most likely the response would be, it's already obsolete: Perhaps no HDMI or PC compatibility. That won't happen with the DTR 10.5, because it has modules for these things.

Probably more modules are on the way. I could see one for satellite or HD radio. How about a wireless solution for speakers, or components in other rooms?

How can you possibly find fault then for a design that would allow you to add or subtract features as you see fit? You can't. The "Built to Order" process, I will tell you, is very empowering. Add to that flexibility, quality, and performance, and voilá, you have the Integra DTR 10.5!

- Piero Gabucci -

© Copyright 2006 Secrets of Home Theater & High Fidelity ;D

Johnny_Bravo

Principe is hetzelfde als de Onkyo TX-NR5000E.

Wel een mooi principe.

Onkyo kennende klinkt het lekker vol, maar zal de voeding te kort schieten.
Bij Integra zullen ze er wat meer rekening mee gehouden hebben.

Marcel_T.

Sony 55A90J | Pioneer SC-LX83 | Pioneer BDP-51FD | PS4pro | Humax 5050c | B&W CDM 9NT | B&W CDM CNT | REL Storm III | Sennheiser HD 650

AppleMies

Quote from: Marcel_T. on January  8, 2006, 17:29:48
Erg mooi deze. Komt ie ook naar Europa?

Ik betwijfel dit.  De Integra Research producten beperken zich (momenteel) in Europe tot de RDC pre-pro, RDV dvd-unispeler en de RDA 7-kan. eindversterker.  De overige modellen van Intergra Research worden als top modellen als Onky Integra aangeboden.  Integra Research heeft in de Verenigde Staten meer aanzien als merk. Er is daar dan ook veel meer keus uit modellen.

Voor alle Integra modellen in USA: http://www.integrahometheater.com

De toegepaste kaarten zijn overigens gelijk toepasbaar voor de Onkyo TX-NR5000E en de Intergra Research RDC-7.1. pre-pro.

gr

AppleMies
NOW:5.1.2 set-up: DENON Amp, Pioneeer BluRay, SVS speakers & LG OLED.

Marcel_T.

Applemies: Jij tiept sneller dan je toetsenbord kan bijhouden...   ;-)

Maar bedankt voor de info. Ik vind het een beetje stil rond Integra de laatste tijd.
Sony 55A90J | Pioneer SC-LX83 | Pioneer BDP-51FD | PS4pro | Humax 5050c | B&W CDM 9NT | B&W CDM CNT | REL Storm III | Sennheiser HD 650