Review BenQ PE8720

Started by Starred, October 28, 2005, 12:17:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Starred

http://www.projectorreviews.com/review.asp?reid=51

QuoteAfter initial frustration with the dark mid-ranges, and switching to the Family Room mode and then adjusting everything from there, I can say that I have thoroughly enjoyed watching everything on this projector. When I took the projector back to the dual wide screen, and watched some DVD and Hi-Def, side by side against the H78DC3 and the Marantz VP-12S4, I came away even more impressed.

The BenQ PE-8720 is loaded with features, has a good number of inputs, and it works smoothly. I like the remote. I do suspect, though, that most owners of a projector in this price range, will, like me, use a 3rd party remote or room control system, to control all their theater equipment.

I look forward to the production version with improved gamma/color tables. I can, however, calibrate around that with this pre-production projector. (I have the advantage of owning the Avia Pro calibration software, and the Optic One light meter.)

The last DLP Darkchip3 projector I reviewed was the popular Optoma H78DC3, which definitely exceeded the performance of any other projector near its price.

That said, I find the PE8720 to be, overall a somewhat better projector than the H78DC3, and (of special interest to me) a brighter one (remember that 128" screen), and also Picture on Picture, which I plan to take advantage of. I'll wait for the final release version, but I think I have found my new Home Theater projector. Mind you, I still think the H78DC3 is a REALLY great value, and with a street price under $4,000, it is at least $3000 less than the where the BenQ will start at.

As much as I have liked the Marantz VP12S4, I don't think that I could rationalize paying almost twice as much, even if I felt I could afford the difference.

Starred

Starred