HD-VHS komt naar je toe deze zomer....

Started by RuudG, January 30, 2002, 11:25:28

Previous topic - Next topic

RuudG

In een interessant artikel in http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20020130/en/film-video_1.html wordt melding gemaakt van het feit dat Fox, Universal, DreamWorks and Artisan in juni high-def films gaan uitgeven op D-VHS .
Onder de eerste titels zullen zitten: Independence Day,Die Hard en X-Men van Fox; U-571 van Universal; en de eerste twee Terminator films van Artisan.

Opmerkelijk dat ze toch opeens komen met high-def maar dan op digital VHS. De enige reden die ik kan verzinnen is dat ze geen consumenten verwarring willen met het gouden kalf: de DVD. En op deze manier een niche markt kunnen bedienen zonder verlies op de DVD verkoop. Dus ga maar vast sparen voor een D-VHS speler  Hopelijk zet dit de andere studios ook in beweging. Nu zijn ze tegen natuurlijk, maar dat waren ze toen DVD begon ook, en toen anamorph begin ook enz. enz. De geschiedenis herhaalt zich. Maar gaat het nu een 4:3 stereo DVD markt voor de gemiddelde TV kijker worden, en een D-VHS markt voor de veeleisende liefhebber?
Gelet op een recente uitspraak van Peter Staddon van Fox over een hele rij NON-OAR 4:3 releases, krijg ik wel die indruk:

Quote"That is a reflection that the mass market demographic doesn't want those black bars," said Peter Staddon, senior VP of marketing of Fox. "They want to fill up the screen."

Groeten,

Ruud

J.A.F._Doorhof

Toch blijft dat vreemd want HD-TV zou officieel een 16:9 formaat moeten zijn.

MvrGr.
Frank
www.hometheater.nl   /   ISF & HAA certified
Custom installer

Volledige ISF calibraties inclusief HDR en 4K.

"Omdat je je iets niet kan voorstellen betekent dat niet dat het niet kan gebeuren"

RuudG

Uh, hoe kom je erbij dat dit 4:3 zou zijn ??? Ik ga van OAR uit, 720p of 1080i met 4:4:4 formaat, anders heeft het geen enkele zin.

Het verbaast me overigens dat er op de belangrijkste ontwikkeling op het gebied van home video sinds de introductie van DVD geen grote berg hoera's komen. Of misschien zijn er twijfels over het feit dat dit weer op tape gebeurt. Tape heeft ook zijn voordelen, veel meer ruimte als op een schijfje, wat weer veel hogere bitrates mogelijk maakt, dus minder/geen filtering enz.

Groeten,

Ruud

Rob_Dingen

Hoi Ruud

Leuk wat je zegt maar welke Digitale VHS recorder kan 480p 720p of 1080i uitsturen

Rob

J.A.F._Doorhof

De nieuwe recorders zouden dit via DVI uit moeten gaan sturen.

Zelf zie ik aan de ene kant het wel zitten om hi-def video te kunnen zien, maar TAPE ? dat zie ik niet zitten. Al dat gespoel, geen menu's. En geen DTS alleen DD.

Toch maar wachten op HD-DVD.

MvrGr.
Frank
Custom installer

"Omdat je je iets niet kan voorstellen betekent dat niet dat het niet kan gebeuren"

J.A.F._Doorhof

Van the digital bits.

QuoteNow then... on to D-VHS. This morning here in L.A., I attended a D-VHS demonstration and Q&A with representatives of JVC and the four studio backers of the format: Fox, Universal, DreamWorks and Artisan. The atmosphere was that of a small, friendly reception, with various monitors and home theater systems arranged to show off the format's picture and sound quality (including tube, plasma and D-ILA projection systems).

As most of you know by now, D-VHS is a digital recording and playback format for high definition material. It's based on the existing 1/2" VHS-sized cassettes we're all used to. A few models of D-VHS player have been out for many months now. What JVC has done, working with a few of the studios, is to create a content encryption/security system for this format that will allow the studios to release pre-recorded feature film titles in true high definition quality for use on HDTVs. This security platform is called D-Theater. Think of it as a new option on D-VHS players. Only D-Theater equipped D-VHS players will be able to play back D-Theater movies on tape. But all D-VHS decks also allow you to record (via MPEG-2 encoding) high definition broadcasts off the air (the Superbowl for example) as well as current NTSC analog signals. The decks are fully backwards compatible with all existing VHS formats, including S-VHS. Currently only one manufacturer (JVC) is supporting the D-Theater platform, but others are already making D-VHS decks and MAY adopt it in the future (Panasonic, Mitsubishi, Hitachi and Toshiba are all supporting the basic D-VHS format at least in Japan, with a few models available in the U.S.). Additionally, there is currently only one model of D-Theater equipped D-VHS deck available from JVC - the HM-DH30000U (a mouthful for even the most enthusiastic technophiles). The MSRP for the unit is about $1995. Here's a link to JVC's official product page for more detailed information on the unit.
HM-DH30000U
D-VHS HDTV Digital Recorder
D-VHS/HD/D-Theater

D-Theater compatible for playback of HDTV software
D-VHS recording modes:
HS mode - 4 hours recording of HDTV digital broadcasting (28.2 Mbps)
STD mode - 8 hours recording of SD quality recording (14.1 Mbps)
LS3 mode - 24 hours recording of analog sources (4.7 Mbps)
MPEG-2 CODEC for digital recording of analog NTSC sources
Built-in HDTV compatible MPEG-2 decoder and component video out
5.1ch Dolby Digital/2ch PCM audio optical digital out
Compatible with VHS/S-VHS

I'm not going to bore you with heavy technical details, because you can find most of what you want to know spec-wise at the link above. But you do need to know a few things. First of all, D-Theater/D-VHS supports full Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtracks at a bit rate of 576Kbps (higher than DVD's 448Kbps rate). Both the manufacturer and the studios believe the format will support DTS multi-channel surround sound as well through the deck's optical digital audio output (one studio already has plans to include DTS on future D-Theater titles - more on that in a minute), although it's not entirely certain whether the existing hardware will be able to handle it without modification (expect this to get ironed out quickly - the belief is that existing players should work with future DTS-encoded tapes). The HD video samples we saw were all pre-recorded in the 1080i format, with an average video bit rate of about 23Mbps (the format max is 28Mbps, some of which is taken up by audio). As far as features, we were told that D-VHS supports multiple audio channels and chapter stops (with obvious limitations given the linear tape format).

As far as software, the studios all indicated that they expect to have feature film titles in high definition D-Theater/D-VHS available in June or July. All will be recorded in the 1080i format, with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. Fox says they'll also include DTS soundtracks on many titles as well. At least one studio source indicated that the movies will retail for about $30-40 each (blank D-VHS tapes currently run about $20 each). It has yet to be decided whether the studios will adopt any form of region coding similar to DVD. But don't look for extras other than the film itself, and MAYBE the occasional commentary. All the studio people we spoke with say this is a movie-only format, geared towards serious, high-end, early adopters and collectors. The core target market is about 2 million households in the U.S. that currently have HDTVs in their living rooms. The idea of D-VHS/D-Theater is to give them a way to record HD signals off air, and to give them pre-recorded movies to watch as well.

All the studio reps we spoke with were very clear that they don't intend to go after or undermine the existing DVD market (more on that in a minute) - this, they stress, is a niche product. Upon being asked, they also made it clear that there will be no D-VHS-specific titles, or titles that would be released first on D-VHS and then only later on DVD. The first titles that will be available will all be big-budget action and sci-fi stuff, and all catalog titles. Eventually, they may release D-VHS titles day and date with standard VHS and DVD. The first few titles available will include Independence Day, U-571, X-Men, Total Recall, Terminator 2 and Basic Instinct (a few of which were on display at this demo), with other titles like Die Hard and Galaxy Quest in development. Fox currently has some 10 titles planned, with more likely over the next 18 months. Universal may also release a number of music titles in addition to feature films. And all the studios report that the reaction from directors and other creative talent has been positive, which it should be given that the tapes are mastered directly from the studios' 1080 film vault masters.

So how does high definition D-VHS look and sound? As one would expect from true high definition, it's pretty amazing. We viewed comparisons between DVD and D-VHS on a number of displays, and D-VHS is naturally better. Any high definition, multi-channel audio format is bound to look and sound terrific.
Custom installer

J.A.F._Doorhof

QuoteBut D-VHS does have significant drawbacks. First of all, it's a tape-based format. And tapes are notoriously easy to damage, as all of you that have lost a favorite movie to your VCR can attest. During one of the demonstrations we saw, the image broke into digital static for a moment... clearly the result of an imperfection in the tape. Because it's tape, you're also missing most of the convenience, accessibility, bonus material and interactivity of DVD. If you want pretty picture and sound, it's there. But you don't get anything else. And then there's the cost - not only do you have to buy a new deck and new movies to enjoy D-VHS, you also need a pricy new HDTV too. That alone will scare the vast majority of consumers away. Ultimately, as good as D-VHS looks and sounds, the press members I spoke with at the event all agreed that recordable, high definition DVD is eventually going to be the knock down, drag out future of home entertainment. For the most savvy technophiles, disc is where it's at. Still, I think D-VHS has a role to play in the meantime.

So what do I think of D-VHS? The technology is cool, no doubt about it. I'll admit it - I want a player myself. But the format will never replace DVD. I mean, it will never even come close. I think it'll be lucky to reach laserdisc numbers. Until HD-DVD comes along (which might be a lot sooner than we expected given the added incentive of competition from D-VHS), this is a nice way for those with a lot of cash to watch high definition films on their spiffy digital TVs.

There are a few concerns that are worth keeping our eyes on. First of all, while the studios say they're not going after the DVD market, or attempting to undermine it in any way, it's clear that the most ardent studio supporters of D-VHS fall directly into the Bill Mechanic "tape is the future" camp. These are the same studios who were most interested in DIVX, and who suffer the most chaffing when Warner gets a royalty cut every time they sell a DVD disc. Regardless of what they say, D-VHS is clearly meant (in the minds of some at these studios) as a sharp jab at Warren Lieberfarb and the DVD camp. And if you doubt it, just dig a little deeper into DVD's history, with its abundant back-biting and animosity between Lieberfarb and Mechanic.

Some at these D-VHS supporting studios would also love to do away with the hassle and expense of creating all those special edition materials for DVD. D-VHS, were it to become successful, would be a nice way to see that happen. I will be very interested to see, as we go forward, just how aggressively these studios support both formats simultaneously. The responsibility lies with all of us in the online DVD community to hold their feet to the fire if their support for DVD wavers in the slightest. That's particularly true of you early adopters, who may (understandably) wish to at least partially embrace D-VHS for its quality.

There's also the concern that average consumers might be confused by throwing D-VHS into a consumer electronics landscape that already features DVD, DTV, HDTV, DSS, Tivo, broadband and the like. My belief, however, is that the average consumer is so far beneath the target market for D-VHS that they'll puzzle over it about as much as they do the difference between VHS and S-VHS... which is to say not at all. If they ever become even aware of D-VHS, they'll scratch their heads and quickly go back to spinning DVDs.

So ultimately, I'm cautiously willing to give D-VHS a try. The quality is cool and we'll probably even review D-VHS titles here at The Bits. But trust me when I say that we're going to be watching these studios VERY closely. DVD is absolutely our first priority - PERIOD. And HD-DVD can't come fast enough as far as we're concerned. So Warren... time to get busy.

Custom installer

RuudG

Hoi Rob,

Quotewelke Digitale VHS recorder kan 480p 720p of 1080i uitsturen

Zie het lange verhaal hierboven.

Kort samengevat deze dus: JVC HM-DH30000U 1080i :D
De prerecorded tapes zullen ook 1080i zijn. Kortom die p-mogelijkheid zit er blijkbaar niet in.

Groetjes,

Ruud