Review Optoma (Themescene) H78DC3

Started by Starred, July 5, 2005, 07:47:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Starred

http://www.projectorreviews.com/review.asp?reid=43

QuoteSimply put, this is the most affordable home theater projector yet, to ship with the new DarkChip3 DLP processor. This processor offers 720p resolution, and the best contrast of any DLP chip yet. This translates into blacker blacks, more shadow detail and overall, better image quality than you would expect fromt he older, less expensive and widely popular HD2+ chip.

With a list price of $6999, but a street price that should hold (for a while around the $4000 mark), it clocks in at least $1000 below any other DarkChip3 powered projector and thousands below most. That will have many people considering buying projector's like the BenQ PE7700, who would prefer a DC3 projector but couldn't afford it, an alternative that may fit their budget.

Picture quality overall was excellent. Motion artifacts were virtually non-existant, very similar to the BenQ PE7700 again, in this area. The difference is really in the DLP processor. Night scenes lose less detail, and are overall visibly better than the HD2+ projectors I have worked with. Flesh tones, after a tricky calibration, were very, very good. In part thanks to the 8 segment color wheel. The ability to de-interlace from an interlaced component video signal from my DVD was excellent, clear of visible artifacts. It is obviously has an excellent de-interlacer.

Starred

Starred

Review van de H79:

QuoteTo my mind—and eyes—the H79 qualifies as the first single-chip DLP that delivers acceptable home theater performance. Not only can it produce a stunning, virtually noise-free picture through its DVI inputs, but it does so without inflicting visual fatigue even after more than five hours of continuous critical viewing. Sure, it occasionally displays rainbow artifacts, and it doesn't have as black a black as a good CRT projector, but its wide contrast range, exemplary shadow detail, superb color delicacy, and extremely low mechanical noise level make it hard to deny its seductive allure.

If you have been a longtime holdout against single-chip DLP technology, the H79 will challenge your long-held opinions and biases against DLP projectors. In the end, I can offer no higher praise than this simple phrase: "I could live with it." When you factor in its price (and the street prices we've seen on this projector are exceptionally enticing), the H79 ranks as nothing short of the most impressive single-chip DLP projector I've ever seen. If you buy any other similarly priced projector without auditioning a H79, you are making a very big mistake. This is one giant-killer of a projector.

http://ultimateavmag.com/videoprojectors/805optoma/index1.html