Panasonic DVD-S97

Started by Starred, May 28, 2005, 19:21:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Starred

Top DVD-spelertje met superbe prijs/kwaliteit verhouding. Heb hem daarom zelf ook  8) ;D

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=122#PanasonicDVD-S97%20(HDMI)

QuoteI did my standard tests for this artifact via both component and HDMI outputs to my display. Via component video, there were no signs of the macroblocking at all. And I mean no signs. Via HDMI, there was still evidence of the issue, but it was toned down significantly since the last time I looked at this player. While it still has the macroblocking bug (MBB), this is one of the best players I've seen with respect to that particular problem.

But Panasonic made some more changes too. It seems that the de-interlacing performance has been tightened up a bit. The S97 offers three distinctive progressive modes: Auto1, Auto 2, and Video. Auto 1 has the typical Faroudja performance that you see in just about every player that uses this chip. It does a great job with both film and video material and is a solid performer all around. Like all implementations, this mode does not support a 2-2 cadence, which is expected. Auto 2 solves this issue. I only recommend using Auto 2 if you know the material you're watching is using a 2-2 cadence, because performance with other non-2-2 material can vary. Basically, if you are seeing strange artifacts, such as combing, shimmering, or unsteadiness in the image, switch over to Auto 2 and see if it helps. If it does, great! When you're done watching that material, go back to Auto 1. There is also a Video mode, but there is no real reason to use it as the Auto 1 and 2 modes cover those bases fine.

The core performance of the S97 has also improved with the new firmware. Response times are up, and the layer change time is down. While it is still not down enough to compete with Mediatek players, Panasonic managed to shave about a half second off the layer break time. The MPEG decoder itself still has some issues though. Panasonic did a bit of a back step after the earlier players like the RP-82 and RP-91 in terms of MPEG decoder performance. Our CUE tests revealed some obvious flickering when the material used a 3-2 alternating cadence. While there wasn't any banding or jaggies, the flickering can be a bit annoying.

The component outputs had some minor pixel cropping, including 7 combined pixels from the sides of the image and 2 from the top and bottom. There is a slight amount of Y/C delay with both the component and HDMI outputs, but it still was within our 5 nanosecond standard. The component outputs are properly set up for a 0 IRE output level, and they pass a below-black pluge with no problems. The measured white level of the player is a tad high at 102 IRE but still within our passing spec.

The HDMI output has some issues with its video levels though. With the brightness and contrast levels in the player set to their default state, this player does not pass below-black or above-white information. I had to set the brightness to +2 and the contrast to -1 to pass the full video signal. This is something that Panasonic should have tweaked in with their new firmware, and I've seen the same issue with some Denon players, including their flagship DVD-5910. On the plus side, this player does not incorrectly change the RBG levels when converting HDMI to DVI, which is common with a lot of HDMI players out there. So owners of DVI-based monitors have no worries here.

Summary: I am glad that Panasonic took it upon themselves to further refine the S97 DVD player. It stands as one of the best existing players at this price point.

FrankB

He Starred,

Hoe doet de Panasonic het met DVD+RW schijfjes? En er ligt toch de duurdere Faroudja chip in, of heb ik het verkeerd?

Thanks,
Frank
2x Devialet Silver Phantom's - Firmware 1.4.1.12
Devialet Dialog - Firmware 1.4.1.12

Starred

Geen idee, gebruik tot op heden alleen +R en -R en geen RW en dat gaat prima

FrankB

Quote from: Starred on September 18, 2005, 14:36:02
Geen idee, gebruik tot op heden alleen +R en -R en geen RW en dat gaat prima

Ik vind het wel een interessante speler gezien de prijs & de kwaliteit. Alleen gebruik ik nogal veel +RW en ik wil natuurlijk wel zeker weten dat dit goed gaat.

Starred

Quote from: FrenkB on September 18, 2005, 14:42:08
Ik vind het wel een interessante speler gezien de prijs & de kwaliteit.

Inderdaad, de verschillen met een 3910 op DVI moet je echt onder een loep bekijken.

FrankB

Quote from: Starred on September 18, 2005, 19:17:22
Inderdaad, de verschillen met een 3910 op DVI moet je echt onder een loep bekijken.

Precies, en Panasonic gebruikt de 2310 Faroudja chip en dat is volgens mij de beste die er is in consumentenproducten. Dus mijn nummer 1, met als voorbehoud dat ie +RW af kan spelen.

Starred

QuoteCOMPATIBILITY:
-------------------
DVD-R: Yes, confirmed
DVD-RW: Yes, confirmed
DVD+R: Yes (according to Radsman)
DVD+RW: Yes, confirmed
DVD-VR: Yes, confirmed
PAL: Yes, if region free (according to Rich4av). Ensure the display is capable of accepting 50Hz.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=463025

FrankB

Corne H

Hoi,

Enig idee of het moeilijk is om deze speler regiovrij te maken ?

Groeten,

Corné