Samsung SP-H700AE DLP Projector (Joe Kane)

Started by Starred, May 26, 2005, 19:19:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Starred

http://ultimateavmag.com/videoprojectors/505samsung/

QuoteConclusions
As I said at the outset, the SP-H700AE was long delayed before Samsung would let reviewers get their hands on it. Was it worth the wait? Mostly yes and a little no. It certainly produces a gorgeous picture, with stunningly accurate color and razor-sharp detail. Watching a movie on this projector is an immensely satisfying experience. And for all the installers and technicians out there, the calibration process blows everything else completely out of the water.

Granted, the black level isn't the best I've seen, but it's not the worst, either; in fact, it seemed to be somewhat program-dependent. I might also wish for a bit more light output in the Theater (low) lamp mode. And of course, both of these factors affect the contrast ratio, which is less than I'd like. Finally, I saw more rainbows than I'm used to.

In the next generation of this projector (which will be introduced to the US market at Infocomm in mid-June), Samsung is using an HD2+ with DarkChip3 technology, which includes an 8-segment color wheel (the two extra segments are dark green). According to Kane, because the 8-segment wheel is larger than the 6-segment variety, it will let more ambient light through, actually raising the black level. However, the contrast ratio is said to have been improved by 12-15 percent, thanks in part to the two dark-green segments. In any event, Kane stresses that black level is a non-issue as long as the screen size and material are carefully chosen—which is certainly true, but a lower absolute black level gives you more flexibility in this regard.

Why might it not have been worth the wait (other than the fact that the next generation is now crowding its heels)? While this projector was being delayed, technology was moving on, and there are now several alternatives that produce quite a good picture for far less money; the Sony VPL-HS51 Cineza ($3500) comes to mind, with its auto iris that dramatically improves black level and contrast. However, the Sony's weakness—accurate color and grayscale tracking—is one of the Samsung's strengths, and the Sony certainly can't be calibrated with the ease and accuracy of the SP-H700AE.

Has the era of single-chip, HD2+ DLP projectors that cost over $10,000 receded into history? Not quite yet; the Samsung SP-H700AE may be one of the last of the breed, but it's also one of the best. Perhaps even more important, it's a model of how all video displays should be designed in terms of calibration and color accuracy. Manufacturers take note!

FrankL

Hmm, gezien de prijs en de prestaties een nogal overbodige projector. Koop gewoon een S4!
En wat een gehannes met steeds die hardware reset die nodig is!  ::)
Marantz VP-15S1
Denon AVC-A1SR-A
Oppo 95

Starred

Quote from: FrankL on May 27, 2005, 13:28:34
Hmm, gezien de prijs en de prestaties een nogal overbodige projector. Koop gewoon een S4!
En wat een gehannes met steeds die hardware reset die nodig is!  ::)

Lijkt mij ook, het model is gewoon een jaar te laat op de markt gekomen