Kris Deering over de Sony HS50 (CR 6000:1)

Started by Starred, May 11, 2005, 14:01:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Starred

QuoteWhat I know and don't know about the Sony HS51
Hey Guys. Before I get started on this I want you to know that I don't plan on making it a point of deliberating in this post as it grows. I am just here to tell you what I have found with the PJ since I bought one last week. Stacey Spears and DarinP came over on Saturday and a calibration that lasted several hours took place. We even enlisted the help of Bill Cushman over at WSR over the phone.

First off, the PJ that I bought had the new firmware in it. I can confirm right off that this new version is NOT a firmware mod. It is a changeout of the entire video board. I confirmed this with the techs at Sony as well. The new versions CANNOT do 1:1 pixel mapping via HDMI. I confirmed this with a HD test pattern generator supplied via the DVDO Iscan HD+. Using the horizontal and vertical line patterns showed obvious interference.

But we persisted on and did the calibration. After all the smoke cleared we had a beautiful image. I am using a 76" diagonal Studiotek 130 from Stewart. Our final numbers came in at 100:1 ANSI contrast and just under 6000:1 On/Off contrast. Yes you read that right and that is fully calibrated. I am using the low lamp mode and the Iris in Auto. Darin took the measurements twice using a light meter. Once right off the PJ and once off the screen. I am also getting 18 fL off the screen. ANSI would probably be higher if my room was darker and we blacked out the screen but I didn't feel that was real world enough.

Today I swapped the PJ for an older model that had the older video board after I CONFIRMED that it will in fact do 1:1 pixel mapping via HDMI. I confirmed this with the same test generator in the DVDO. I am getting about 3-4% overscan on all sides (same as the new PJs) and the blanking. I simply zoomed the image out and put the blanking into my frame, no biggie. Based on what we've seen with the PJ it is my opinion, and others too, that this PJ is in fact using 1366x728 panels and masking them to 1280x720. This would be the reason for the double scaling in the new models since it would need to be scaled up to eliminate the masking. I don't know why they went about it this way, but I am through guessing about consumer electronics companies. They always make weird decisions. The image is now much sharper. When I swapped PJs I actually took the bulb out of the one I calibrated and swapped it with the other PJ to retain the same wear. When I entered in all the settings we came up with in our calibration everything went back to exactly the same; contrast, grayscale, brightness, everything. The image has the same outstanding qualities only sharper. The only downside is screen door is a bit more obvious, but not intrusive by any means. I have used other LCD PJs before and this is far better. But I am sitting a tad over 10' away from a 65" wide screen.

So as much as most here suggest using the new PJs, I would have to recommend the ones with the older hardware. The sharpness is far better. At some point I will explore the VGA input but it won't be for a few weeks.

For anyone interested here are the setting we came up with in the end. If you use these you have to make sure that you don't have any display settings turned on in your scalers or DVD players as it will adjust it. You may have to adjust brightness or contrast slightly as well since bulbs may be slightly different or voltages being sent. Or even screen differences, who knows. Anyway here they are. These have already worked quite well for some others here.

I used User 1 and Custom 1 for the grayscale

Contrast 78
Brightness 55
Color 44
Hue 51
Sharpness off or lowest setting
Gamma Off
Black level OFF

Red Gain 12
Green Gain 0
Blue Gain -17

Red Bias or cut -5
Green bias 0
Blue Bias 0

Iris Auto
Bulb in low or eco mode

Hope this helps everyone here.

Oh, I am feeding the PJ 720P via HDMI from a Denon DVD 5910. I have the output set to Y Cb Cr and video level to Normal with black set at 0 IRE. The only adjustment made in the player is the contrast is set to -2 which is the only way to make the player pass below black and above white. It is a small bug with the player.

I do not suggest feeding this PJ 480P if you can feed it 720P. The scaler is not good with chroma. This is quite obvious in the beginning of Universal DVDs where you see the WARNING page. Look at the word Warning, it is very jagged. I also saw this same artifact in several DVDs and it was completely eliminated if I sent the PJ 720P, even with the new firmware. Didn't look to see if it was there at 1080i, but I don't think it was as I would have noticed it.

Enjoy!!!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=538257

Ik snap niet dat Kris Deering (bekend van Secrets of HT) met de HS50 zonder filter tot een CR van bijna 6000:1 kan komen  :o. Maar ja, Stacey Spears en DarinP staan wel bekend als calibratieguru's op AVS  :-\

J.A.F._Doorhof

Je kan er redelijk makkelijk komen, maar de vraag is hoe wil je je grayscale opofferen, als je de grayscale iets opoffered aan de bovenkant, laat zeggen vanaf 70IRE kom je inderdaad tussen de 5000:1 en 6500:1.
www.hometheater.nl   /   ISF & HAA certified
Custom installer

Volledige ISF calibraties inclusief HDR en 4K.

"Omdat je je iets niet kan voorstellen betekent dat niet dat het niet kan gebeuren"

Starred

Quote from: J.A.F._Doorhof on May 11, 2005, 15:38:30
Je kan er redelijk makkelijk komen, maar de vraag is hoe wil je je grayscale opofferen, als je de grayscale iets opoffered aan de bovenkant, laat zeggen vanaf 70IRE kom je inderdaad tussen de 5000:1 en 6500:1.

Maar heb je daar minder aan dan een rechte grayscale over de hele IRE range met een stuk lager (~2500:1) contrast?

J.A.F._Doorhof

ik ga liever voor een rechte grayscale dan een hoog contrast om eerlijk te zijn helemaal bij de HS50.
Custom installer

"Omdat je je iets niet kan voorstellen betekent dat niet dat het niet kan gebeuren"

CineSmurf

Zit er nog een prijsdoorbraak door te komen bij deze projector? Hij is toch al enkele maanden op de markt, maar ik zie nog steeds dezelfde prijzen.

Dick
JVC RS50; Marantz AV7702mkII; 5x Emotiva upa1; Ziggo next PVR; Oppo UDP-203; Marantz UD5007; HD Dune 3.0; SVS 25-31PCi (custom tuned to 22Hz) subwoofer; Dali Suite 2.8, C 0.8 & 1.7 en (4 x) 0.7 aan het plafond.

J.A.F._Doorhof

Custom installer

Starred

De vraag is groter dan het aanbod momenteel, Sony kan de productie nauwelijks aan, dus de prijs zal niet snel zakken

gepebril

Quote from: Sietses on May 11, 2005, 16:22:49
Zit er nog een prijsdoorbraak door te komen bij deze projector? Hij is toch al enkele maanden op de markt, maar ik zie nog steeds dezelfde prijzen.
Als je het zonders Frank service en garantie wilt stellen en bereid bent ver te rijden dan zou ik het eens bij onze Oosterburen proberen. Het lijkt erop dat Sony-Duitsland veel liever is voor zijn HT-vriendjes als Sony-NL.
Dergelijke zaken lijken vaker voor te komen daar het met Epson weer net andersom is. Misschien bedoelen ze dit wel met dat we allemaal voor één Europa moeten stemmen per 1 juni............

gr,
Albert
TV: LG OLED65C16LA
Reciever: Marantz SR5015
Speakers: 4x B&W603S3, 1x B&W CC6
Player: Oppo Clone M9201