Perigee, opvolger van Apogee

Started by Gydotron, August 25, 2004, 08:40:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Gydotron

Graz is de an die al jaren vervangmembranen levert voor de Apogee speakers en hij is zelf jaren beziggeweest om een speaker te bouwen. Vandaag heeft hij zijn eerste foto's laten zien. Het is een Full Range 3 weg systeem dat een impedantie heeft die niet onder de 4 Ohm komt. Het systeem is erg zwaar en er is 3 man nodig om het op te stellen. Meer is er echt nog niet bekent behalve de naam, Perigee Definitive.

Scarp

Klinkt als een hondenvoer merk :)

Maar ziet er wel apart uit :)

ruud2

is dat een deur links ? wat een afmetingen !
Mark  , Nelson , Neil , mr. Krell  en Herr Willi Studer spelen samen in een speciale ruimte.
Frits Philips mag de huiskamer voorzien van dagelijks  radio geluid.

Gydotron

Perigee: punt van de maanbaan 't dichtst bij Aarde
Apogee:  punt van Maan-baan verst van Aarde

Guido

Jan Deckers

Hebben ze ook een eigen website?

GRTN,

Jan

Gydotron

Dit is de tekst die Graz de wereld instuurde over zijn nieuwe speaker.
Perigee heeft inderdaad een wesite maar daar staat nog niets vermeld van deze speaker.
http://www.perigee.com.au/

Tekst Graz:

These are my soon-to-be-released PERIGEE DEFINITIVE 3-way planar ribbon speakers. The design brief was simple – a list of deficiencies of all planar/electrostatic dipolar speakers I have ever heard was made – and in this design I have attempted with my own solutions to fix them! As people here will notice, even with a single brand such as Apogee, their individual types exhibit a very different character, whilst sharing that dipolar "flavour" with a few other brands also. And for those that have heard several if not all of the noteworthy dipoles out there, they would have made a list of their favourites, and what they liked about them. As with all things – there are reasons why things sound good or bad – and the DEFINITIVE is about that, my attempt to work out why things work well and implement the "reasons" into a single design. That's why I called it DEFINITIVE, as it defines what I think a planar style speaker should sound like, nothing more, nothing less.

Such a project was inevitably going to take a while to research and design, and cost quite a lot of time, energy and money to work through. The speaker you see pictured is not a prototype, but the first production example, with all tooling in place to manufacture them to order. They will never be a mass production unit, as they take a long time to manufacture and will always be exclusive. These speakers are for the most demanding of planar audiophile, that have enjoyed their various dipolar speakers over time and are searching for a design that takes the theme a long way. A speaker to keep, and certainly made with a view to ending the upgrade cycle. For that reason they are a considerable investment – and do not compare to the second hand ebay planar offerings!

The speakers employ an all new ribbon system, not sharing any dimensions or circuit parts with any Apogee speaker, but as a manufacturer of replacement/upgrade ribbons for owners of Apogee speakers you would expect a similarly styled planar product, which it certainly is. The visual "glimpse" resemblance is only skin deep...

Design features;-

MRTW SECTION

The faces are magnet-latched, and damper-latched by height as well as at the ends.
Returns are field encapsulated, set solid.
MRTW's range between 4 and 3.2 ohms.
MRTW's are almost (99.5%TW, 99.2%MR) clear path to the back
MRTW's are smooth conductive sided
Both MR & TW ribbons use a non-kapton single sheet construction, at 8 microns thin with a unique bonding agent.
Wave deflectors on the faces, combined with mini-horn loading as with the Perigee FK1.

BASS SECTION

All clamping is in low energy polymers and plastics
All ribbon adhesives are VERY high dielectric, twice exceeding silicone
Ribbon attachments are molecular bonding pressure clamps, with no tightening device in the audio circuit – unique and made for DEFINITIVE
Bass magnets are focussed tightly for better range
Back-wave air resistance is low due to full dimension aperture size, and spaces around all magnets
Bass Ribbons use a non-kapton single sheet construction, at 8 microns thin
Resistance is a true 4 ohm load
Tuning is multipoint/sweep rather than area defined tri-point
All ribbons are meridian-mapped
All damping is a new Graz style system, not susceptible to foam rot

COMMON TO BASS AND MRTW

Full frame is 3D laser machined to 0.3mm accuracy.
Wiring is all silver plated "6 9's" copper strands, air sealed in teflon, copper terminated, silver soldered, earth screened, direct ribbon to amplifier connections
Plinth is solid steel, Corian faced, and available in most Corian or rival material colours, see http://www.corian.com
Weight of the panels is suspended on two hardened encapsulated points per speaker
Magnets are rare earth, and field focussed, with coercive fields being (for example) roughly 7x that of the Apogee Grand
Clamp fastenings are all non magnetic
Ribbons share a common mid-point.
Plinths spiked for carpet use, can be flat or spike/cupped for hard flooring.
Ribbon thickness tolerance 5 microns, flat dimension tolerances +- 0.5mm nominal
Crossover is active, digital.
All ribbons made in house using the same CNC machinery as I produce Apogee upgrades with, using different materials for the DEFINITIVE.

REQUIREMENTS

The PERIGEE DEFINITIVE requires 6 channels of very high purity/quality amplification, either TUBE, DIGITAL or TRANSISTOR and as an efficient design can use as little as 20 watts per channel. The room pictured is all I have available as a demonstration room. Ideal rooms would have a 5m width,8m length and 3m height as a minimum requirement.

Installation requires 3 strong people.

STYLING

This pair is faced in BLACK/BLACK and WHITE/WHITE marble composite, with my intended theme being "Piano Keys". As the PLINTH, BASS, and MRTW units are separate many colour schemes can be used to taste.

Arieson

De onvermijdelijke DIY-er vraag: al iets bekend over het kostenplaatje van dit nieuwe systeem? Moet er een tophypotheekje worden aangevraagd?

Quote from: Gydotron on August 25, 2004, 09:08:38
Dit is de tekst die Graz de wereld instuurde over zijn nieuwe speaker.
Perigee heeft inderdaad een wesite maar daar staat nog niets vermeld van deze speaker.

Niet actief

Quote from: Arieson on August 25, 2004, 18:10:29
De onvermijdelijke DIY-er vraag: al iets bekend over het kostenplaatje van dit nieuwe systeem? Moet er een tophypotheekje worden aangevraagd?

Ik denk inderdaad niet dat dit een luidspreker is die veel huiskamers gaat sieren.

Het is niettemin hoopgevend dat opnieuw een echte fullrange ribbon de markt op gaat, omdat er sinds de verdwijning van Apogee geen waardige exponent van dit werkingsprincipe meer op de markt is (ik vlak Magnepan niet uit, maar beschouw het niet als van eenzelfde kwaliteitsniveau).
Gezien de kwaliteit van de Apogee vervangingsmembranen die door de maker van Perigee wereldwijd worden verkocht kan iedere Apogee bezitter zijn gewaardeerde luidsprekers weer (beter) als nieuw krijgen en de kennis die hij over deze luidsprekers bezit is werkelijk fenomenaal en diepgaand.
Ik heb er alle vertrouwen in dat deze Perigee luidspreker zich op eenzame hoogte bevindt en denk dat ie binnen een jaar of anderhalf is doorgedrongen tot de bekende top en daar een nieuwe referentie gaat neerzetten.....

Toine (onwaarschijnlijk content met een Apogee Duetta Signature)