As of now : Robert Woodland from Eichmann

Started by J.A.F._Doorhof, December 2, 2001, 17:21:32

Previous topic - Next topic

J.A.F._Doorhof

They invented the best sounding interconnects and the revolutionairy Bullet plug.

This week Robert Woodland of Eichmann will be at our forum, he will check in once each day, if his schedule allows.

So all you want to know about interconnects and Eichmann, you can NOW ask.

Greetings,
Frank
www.hometheater.nl   /   ISF & HAA certified
Custom installer

Volledige ISF calibraties inclusief HDR en 4K.

"Omdat je je iets niet kan voorstellen betekent dat niet dat het niet kan gebeuren"

J.A.F._Doorhof

Allright Robert when you log in.
Please introduce yourself and your products.

And the questions will hopefully come as it goes.

Greetings,
Frank
Custom installer

"Omdat je je iets niet kan voorstellen betekent dat niet dat het niet kan gebeuren"

SiR-ROUND

Dear Robert,

First of all thank you for your generous time...

I would like to know what the theory is for connecting shields on interconnects.

Should us homebrewers connect shield either to both sides of an interconnect, one side, and if yes, connect it to the source end or is there another theory?

Thanx in advance...

Special_member

Thanks for your message regarding shielding of DIY interconnects.

It depends a little on the design.  And all shileding will impact on the sound quality in some way. A standard procedure is to connect the shield at the sending end and leave the shield floating (unconnected) at the receiving end.

However, you may also like to try a floating shield where neither end is connected.

It's a trial and error thing.

Special_member

Frank asked that I introduce myself and our new cable inventions.

I'm Rob Woodland from Eichmann Technologies International. My Company has licensed technology from Australian inventor Keith Eichmann, and we are involved in manufacturing and distributing the Eichmann inventions.

The first product available is the Bullet Plug connector, which is a new, improved RCA connector.  Most audio and home theater buffs use cables comprising high purity OFC or silver conductors with 100% plus conductivity, terminated with gold plated brass RCA plugs at each end that are only 28% conductivity.  

The humble RCA plug has been sadly neglected.

Our Bullet Plug is compatible with all RCA sockets and comprises precision contact pins made from high conductive tellurium copper - in a radical new design.  See attached pic. The result is better performance for any analog, digital or video cable.

For more information check our website: www.eichmanncables.com

The next product for release is an AC enhancing Cable that replaces the detachable AC cord of CD players, preamps, amplifiers, projectors, monitors etc.

This device again improves the performance of components.

Finally in the new year we will launch our cable range based on the Ratio discovery by Keith Eichmann.

I'm pleased to answer any questions you may have.

J.A.F._Doorhof

Hi Robert,

I also have a few questions which always come back, and are always good for some very heavy discussions.

What about playing-in interconnects.
My experience with the Eichmann interconnects/cabling is that after the first 24 hours they sound good for about a day or 3 than they have a dip and after a few hours they climb up again to stay at a stable sound slightly better than before (after the first 24 hours).

Is there need to play-in according to you, or not ?
Why is there need for play-in ?

There has been almost a war about the need for good powercabling, my opinion is that you CAN hear a difference. But the motivs of the other side are also to be taken into consideration.

Is there a need for powercabling, and why ?
Second, IF there is a need, why will it work while the wiring in the wall is NOT upto standard ?

These are topics I have had many questions about, and always defended my hearing, and experience. Maybe some expert view.

Thanks in advance,

Greetings,
Frank
Custom installer

J.A.F._Doorhof

Another Question by E-mail (someone behind a heavy firewall, cannot log-in).

Robert,
When would you choose for balanced or unbalanced, and has this something to do with the length of the interconnect. Also will Eichmann come with balanced interconnects ?

What has your preferences, long interconnects short speakerwire or short interconnects long speakerwire ?

Custom installer

Special_member

Hi Frank, I'm pleased to answer your question about run-in of cables.

Our interconnects need about 24 hours before showing their best, and then will usually improve further with a few more days playing.  You can speed up the process by using a special burn-in disc or one of the new "cable toasters" on the market.

Regarding AC Cables.  Great advances have been made in the area of AC Cables - that are designed to replace the detachable power cord that comes with equipment.

The reasons why a good AC Cable can improve performance are many and varied.

The most obvious reason can be current draw.  Most standard detachable AC Cables comprise small stranding size conductors to cater for 10amp requirements.  In our experience this strangles the power.  You really need a large amount of copper (or silver) to allow maximum current draw.  Our cable is designed for a 25-30amp requirement.

Next comes protection from RFI and EMI interference - and many cables are heavily shielded.  While shielding can help - there can be trade offs - and some shielded AC cables can deaden the sound.  Our cable uses a weave that helps eliminate RFI without the need for shielding.

Many cables incorporate a conditioning or filtering device that can also help.

The big difference with the Eichmann AC Cable is the "enhancing device" that is inserted within the LIVE conductor of the cable.  This device is a patent-pending invention that assists the power supplies of components.  A laboratory in Sydney, Australia has tested the cable - and has found that harmonic distortion of some amplifiers is reduced when connected to the Eichmann Cable.  In sonic terms the result of the Eichmann AC Cable is cleaner, more powerful sound.  

Hope this helps.

Special_member

Regarding Balanced Vs unbalanced cables.  If you have the facilities to use balanced cables, then this will solve any problems with RFI.  And long cable lengths can be used. This is why the pro-music industry has adopted balanced leads as a standard.

In a home situation with short cable lengths the difference between balanced and unbalanced may not be that great.  However I would still look to balanced leads if possible.

Regarding short or long interconnects Vs short or long speaker cables.  This is an interesting question - with no definitive answer.  Rule of thumb - if your interconnects incorporate some form of shielding then I would use long interconnects and short speaker cables.  If you chose to use unshielded interconnects then go for short interconnects and long speaker cables.

Each system is different.

J.A.F._Doorhof

Again a question by E-mail.

What will be the minimum / maximum lenght of the Eichmann power cables. This in relationship with power distribution in a rack. Some brands (v/d Hull for example) claim also RFI filter qualitys, but the minimum length is 1.5 meters. This is quite useless for distribution of power wires in a rack. This is in my case overkill, around 50 cm would do.

What prices do we have to think of ?

Is Autralia 230 volts / 50 Hz as well, if not does the cable work on that European frequency ?

Can we terminate the cable ourselves, as the Australian power connectros are most likely not the same as the europan ones.
Custom installer

J.A.F._Doorhof

About the termination of the cable, I can answer.
Together with Robert we are looking for a good replacement of the original connector.

Greetings,
Frank
Custom installer

jaco

Robert,

Thank you for your time to answer our questions.
I am the person Frank posted some questions for.
In the meanwhile i have found out that the power in australia is the same as here 230 volts /50 Hz.

Jaco

Special_member

Thanks for your questions regarding the Eichmann AC Enhancing Cable.  Our cable comes as a standard 2m length - but can be ordered at any size.  Under 1m length becomes a bit of a problem - due to stiffness of the cable and the length of the enhancing device itself.  The 2m allows for connecting to components in a rack situation.

Price of the Cable will be approx US $250.  Don't forget, this includes the in-line conditioning unit.

The Cable is designed for direct wall to component connection - and not into a filter or other conditioner.  The resultant improvement in sound and image quality is quite significant.  See attached pic of the cable.

As Frank has mentioned, we are on the hunt for a suitable Schuko plug.  I appreciate any recommendations.

garmtz

Hi Robert,

I hope you are still reading this. I have been using the Eichmann eXpress digital and analogue interconnect for some time now with great results. They replaced cables from van den Hul (The First) and Nordost (Red Dawn).

Most of my questions have been anwered above, but I have one additional one: is there going to be a new line of products using even better materials at a higher price point? I think many audiophiles are suspicious about the low price and the "cheap" look of the current line of products. If they would listen, they would of course know that the sound is not cheap AT ALL! :)

I know for a fact that a major cable company wanted to use the Bullet plug, because they thought is was the best sounding RCA plug available, but they didn't in the end, because the plugs wouldn't look "right" on their mega buck cables...

As for a suitable plug for your cables: I have seen many brands use a Papp plug with great results.

Special_member

Thanks for your kind words about our cables.

From the start, we decided to design our products to be the best sounding, rather than best looking components.  After all, most cables and plugs are located behind equipment - rarely to be seen.  However there is a quiet revolution taking place - with cable manufacturer's realising that the Bullet Plug makes a big difference to their cables.  In fact Bob Graham from Graham Tonearm fame has just selected the Bullet Plug for his Tonearm leads - after comparing them to the best RCA plugs he could find.  Rule of thumb with RCA plugs is "less metal is best".

Regarding the Papp plug - I haven't heard of this connector.  Can you provide further information?

Regarding up market cables from Eichmann.  Yes, we are presently working on a new design that will be available in the new year.  Very special!

cinepaulis

Mr. Woodland,

I'm curious about the AC-Enhancing device in the power cables. Power conditioning seems to be an issue that is surrounded more myths than facts. It's not that I don't believe that any of those devices work, but I'm interested in WHY and HOW it works.

Can you explain what this enhancing device actually does ?
Does it smooth out minor voltage fluctuations or filtering around the power line frequency (50 Hz in The Netherlands) ?

Thanks very much for your time.

with kind regards,
Paul Harmsen
CRT - You like it now, you'll learn to love it later
Visit Cinepaulis

Classe SSP-30 | Parasound HCA 2205A| 4xB&W N805 + HTM2 | BagEnd Infrasub 18 | CEC TL-51 | BarcoGraphics 808 | Projecta scherm | Philips DVD 720P

garmtz

That's some great information! I am looking forward to getting a taste of your new products!

I heard the news about Graham deciding to use your the Bullet plug from your newsletter. For people also wanting to subscribe to the Eichmann newsletter: go to http://www.eichmanncables.com and subscribe!

Thanks again! I will try to get more information about suitable two prong earthed power connectors for use in the Netherlands/Europe. The ones that Siltech and van den Hul use here in the Netherlands are also pretty good I guess.

jaco

Robert,
Those plugs are hard to find. For the female plug i got a link to a US company: http://www.marinco.com/iec320.htmThey however make no male conenctor in Europe style.

I am searching on..

Jaco

Special_member

Hello Paul,

You raise a good point regarding power conditioning.  All we want to achieve with AC power is to deliver a pure 50Hz signal (this is a low frequency remember) to a component.  Unfortunately the 50Hz signal is usually accompanied by noise in the form of RFI and other pollution.  This noise is high frequency.  So we need to remove the high frequencies and associated resonance in the powerline and maintain and protect the 50Hz low frequency.

Most solutions involve capacitors and other electronic components - which remove noise, but at the same time restrict current draw and drive.

Keith Eichmann has invented a specially shaped mass device that is inserted within the LIVE conductor of the AC Power cable.  This device is passive and doesn't restrict current draw.  What it does is control high frequency noise and resonance and provide a clean, low impedance feed to a component's power supply.  The power supply tends to operate more efficiently - without the burden of dealing with noise and resonance.  Some people suggest that their amplifier sounds more powerful when connected to the Eichmann AC Enhancing Cable.  I can assure you - it makes a big difference in my system.

Of course, you need to try the cable in your own system - and decide for yourself.

The problem we have is finding a Schuko plug that will fit our large conductors.  At present we supply the cable with a US Marinco mains plug and an Ambiance/Furutech IEC connector.  So you will need an AC Adaptor to use the cable in the Netherlands.

cinepaulis

Mr. Woodland,

Thanks very much for your answer. I think this is a unique opertunity to talk to professionals in the business where other companies never even respond to an e-mail. So thanks again for your time!  :)

I understand that the wall outlets may indeed provide noisy power. What I'm particularly curious about, is how this filtering actually works, since I would expect such filtering to be near the actual power supply of the device (e.g. inside an amplifier).
Can you tell me which frequencies are filtered ? (for instance: from 50 Hz to 30 kHz)

with kind regards,
Paul Harmsen
CRT - You like it now, you'll learn to love it later
Visit Cinepaulis

Classe SSP-30 | Parasound HCA 2205A| 4xB&W N805 + HTM2 | BagEnd Infrasub 18 | CEC TL-51 | BarcoGraphics 808 | Projecta scherm | Philips DVD 720P

Special_member

Hi Paul,

Sorry to take so long to get back to you regarding the operation of our enhancing device within our AC Cable.  Our device is not so much a filter, as a resonance control device.  It is designed to control high frequency resonance and noise, and provide an easier load to the power supplies of components.  The technology is new - and very exciting.  I find the best way to measure performance is by listening to a component with and without the cable attached.

A question to ask is - what do we really know about electrons and electron flow?  Not much!  In 20 to 30 years we will know a lot more.  Keith Eichmann is an inventor who brings an interest in physics to the world of electronics.  His theories are revolutionary and outside present electronic understanding.  I believe you will hear a lot more about the Eichmann philosophies over the coming years.  For now, just listen to the products and decide for yourself.

garmtz

Hmmmm... I wonder if the Enhancing Device is some form of ferrite bead, whith an optimised shape and capacity for filtering audio-sensitive RF frequencies? I WOULD like to know what's in that bulge... ;)

Eurodole73

AWESOME NEWS  now lets home the powers that bes throw a little more scratch their way