Yes- Close to the Edge in 5.1, mix door Steven Wilson

Started by RobertVanWoerden, June 23, 2013, 12:16:46

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertVanWoerden

Het klassieke album van Yes, Close to the Edge, komt in October uit als 5.1, gemixet door Steven Wilson.

QuoteI have just been told it is okay to tell you all about this at long last - so here goes.

Featuring brand-new stereo & 5.1 mixes by Steven Wilson as well as some additional bonus material and the original stereo mix in glorious high resolution, "Close to the Edge" will be released in October this year. I cannot say too much more at this point in time, but will update this thread as & when I am able to do so.
This has been a very long time in the making, but well worth the wait - the new mixes sound absolutely glorious!
http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?17799-Yes-Close-to-the-Edge-5-1-in-October

Steven Wilson heeft de latse jaren al veel werk in 5.1 gemixt. Dit beloofd ook een topper te worden!

Quadraphonicquad is sowieso een aanrader voor mensen die van. 5.1 houden. Muzikanten en mixers zijn zelf ook lid van het forum, dus somg nieuws komt uit de eerste hand.

RobertVanWoerden

Dit wordt smullen :)

QuoteA press release from Panegyric:

XTC and Yes to join the roster of acclaimed King Crimson reissues via the Panegyric label in 2013.

Panegyric, the label responsible for issuing DGM's acclaimed King Crimson 40th Anniversary Edition sets, has announced that it will be issuing new archive CD/DVD-A & CD/Blu-Ray editions by XTC starting with Nonsuch and Yes with Close To The Edge. Both albums will feature additional tracks and new stereo/surround sound mixes by Steven Wilson.

September:

XTC - Nonsuch - available in two editions - CD/DVD-A & CD/Blu-Ray.

Ape House will issue the first in a series of XTC releases with Hi-res stereo original mixes, new stereo & 5.1 mixes plus additional music & (on Blu-Ray) video footage.

October:

King Crimson - The Road to Red - Limited edition, multi CD, DVD-A/Blu-Ray boxed set.

DGM has assembled a set focusing on the final North American tour of 1974. Though edited portions of this tour was documented on 1992's The Great Deceiver, the bulk of The Road To Red is previously unreleased on CD and will include new hi-res transfers from original analogue tape mixes of complete, unedited concerts. Also included in the set is a new stereo mix of Red by Robert Fripp & Steven Wilson.

October:

Yes - Close to the Edge - available in CD/DVD-A & CD/Blu-Ray editions.

Panegyric will issue the first in a series of Yes releases with Hi-res stereo original mixes, new stereo & 5.1 mixes plus additional tracks.

News of further releases by all of the above bands to follow.

Duck Twacy

RobertVanWoerden

Dat is wel veel geld voor alleen een nieuwe mastering. Dat toch liever de nieuwe mixen van Steven Wilson :) Ben benieuwd welke albums hij allemaal gaat aanpakken.

RobertVanWoerden

Quote.         

Close to the Edge is the first in a series of remixed and expanded Yes albums.

Presented in a mini vinyl replica gatefold card sleeve with booklet featuring new sleeve notes by Sid Smith, along with rare photos and archive material, the album has been mixed for 5.1 Surround Sound from the original studio masters by Steven Wilson and is fully approved by Yes.

The CD features a completely new stereo album mix by Steven Wilson, a new mix of America and an early mix of Close to the Edge.

Contains original artwork by Roger Dean who has overseen the artwork for this new edition.

The blu-ray features:

- 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio Surround (24bit/96khz) mixed from the original multi-channel recordings.
- the new stereo album mix in DTS-HD Master Audio (24bit/96khz).
- the original album mix and America in a DTS-HD Master Audio flat transfers from the original master tape source. (24bit/192khz)
- exclusive instrumental versions of all new mixes in DTS-HD Master Audio stereo (24bit/96khz).
- exclusive needle-drop of an original UK vinyl A1/B1 pressing transferred in 24bit/96khz audio.
- numerous audio extras appear in high-resolution stereo including single edits & studio run throughs of album tracks

The ultimate way to enjoy one of the greatest Progressive Rock albums ever made.

Pre-order for 21st October release.
preorder (£15.99 GBP)

Tracks
CD:

1. Close to the Edge
2. And You And I
3. Siberian Khatru

Bonus Tracks:

4. America
5. Close to the Edge

Blu-Ray:

Presented in DTS-HD Master Audio

- Album mixed in 5.1 Surround
- New Album mix
- Original Album mix (flat transfer)
- New Album mix (instrumental version)
- America original, new & instrumental stereo mixes and 5.1 Surround

Plus further audio extras some exclusive to the Blu-Ray edition.

RobertVanWoerden

En dit voor de dvda versie,

Close to the Edge is the first in a series of remixed and expanded Yes albums.

Presented as a double digi-pack format in a slipcase with a booklet featuring new sleeve notes by Sid Smith, along with rare photos and archive material, the album has been mixed for 5.1 Surround Sound from the original studio masters by Steven Wilson and is fully approved by Yes.

The CD features a completely new stereo album mix by Steven Wilson, a new mix of America and an early mix of Close to the Edge.

Contains original artwork by Roger Dean who has overseen the artwork for this new edition.

The DVD-A features:

- a 5.1 DTS Mix and High Resolution Stereo mixes.
- DVD-A players can, additionally, access a 5.1 Lossless audio mix (24bit 96khz).
- the new album mix in high resolution stereo
- the original album mix in a hi-res flat transfer from the original stereo master tape source.
- numerous audio extras in high-resolution stereo including single edits & studio run- throughs.

The ultimate way to enjoy one of the greatest Progressive Rock albums ever made.

Pre-order for 21st October release.
preorder (£12.99 GBP)

Tracks
CD:

1. Close to the Edge
2. And You And I
3. Siberian Khatru

Bonus Tracks:

4. America
5. Close to the Edge

DVD-A:

- Album mixed in 5.1 Surround from original multi-track sources.
- New Album mix in High Resolution Stereo
- Original Album mix (flat transfer) in High Resolution Stereo
- America original and new stereo mixes and 5.1 and in High-Resolution

Plus further audio extras.

Han S

Als die hard YES fan ben ik zeer benieuwd. De muziek is geweldig, maar de geluidskwaliteit en de mixen van de originele albums hebben mij altijd het gevoel gegeven dat het veel beter kan. Ik heb ongeveer alles van ze en toen ik alle CD 's had gekocht vielen me die nogal tegen, althans, het merendeel want een paar daarvan klinken wel prima.

De remasters? Ik heb nog geen remaster gehoord die beter was geworden, integendeel, ze zijn vaak nog slechter.

Ik ben benieuwd wat Steven met een stuk als The Gates of Delirium kan doen, voor mij een van de hoogtepunten van het Yes oevre.

RobertVanWoerden

Gates of Delirium in 5.1 zou super zijn, het instrumentale middenstuk is gemaakt om uit alle speakers te knallen :)

jpmoree

Ik geef de voorkeur aan een vroege persing op vinyl. Ondanks dat een remaster vaak prima is opgepoetst, ontbeer je toch vaak het gevoel van de tijd waarin het gemaakt is. Zal mijn leeftijd wel zijn.....

Worstebrood

Live Long and Prosper
Beeld: Samsung 55Q95, 46ES8000.
7.1.2 Setup: Marantz SR6011, CD 5005, Sony UBP x800Mk2, Technics SL-10
Speakers: MA RS-6, R360, Kef Cresta Center, 6xHTS 2001.
5.1 Setup: Denon AVR-3805, POA-T2, DVD-2910. Draaitafel: Pro-ject Debut III, Technics SL-j2/SL-L3, CD: TEAC CD-Z5000, Oppo BDP-93, LD: Pioneer, DVL-909, Sony SP-90es, MD: Sony MDS-JD 930, Tape: Denon DRS-810, Yamaha KX-800, Speakers: B&W DM683, KEF Cresta rear, Reference M100 center, Klipsch KSW-10s.

Paul1967

Quote from: RobertVanWoerden on July 30, 2013, 12:43:55
Dat is wel veel geld voor alleen een nieuwe mastering. Dat toch liever de nieuwe mixen van Steven Wilson :) Ben benieuwd welke albums hij allemaal gaat aanpakken.

Zit te wachten op Kate Bush Hounds of love. Jaren geleden gelezen in een bericht van Steve dat hij o.a. dit album opnieuw wil mixen w.o. in 5.1ch. De B-kant van dit album in 5.1  :ohmy:

RobertVanWoerden

Wellicht heb je dit gelezen Paul,

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/20-albums-deserve-be-surround-sound

20 albums die Steven in surround wil mixen. Sommige zijn al gedaan, door hem zelf of anderen.

Paul1967

Quote from: RobertVanWoerden on February 11, 2014, 21:37:07
Wellicht heb je dit gelezen Paul,

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/20-albums-deserve-be-surround-sound

20 albums die Steven in surround wil mixen. Sommige zijn al gedaan, door hem zelf of anderen.

Dit artikel klopt, interview uit de soundandvision 2009.

Worstebrood

Inmiddels is "the Yes Album" ook uitgebracht op blu-ray audio. Ook gemixed door genie Wilson. Als het net zo een mooi produkt is als Close to the Edge dan belooft het wat.  ;D
Live Long and Prosper
5.1 Setup: Denon AVR-3805, POA-T2, DVD-2910. Draaitafel: Pro-ject Debut III, Technics SL-j2/SL-L3, CD: TEAC CD-Z5000, Oppo BDP-93, LD: Pioneer, DVL-909, Sony SP-90es, MD: Sony MDS-JD 930, Tape: Denon DRS-810, Yamaha KX-800, Speakers: B&W DM683, KEF Cresta rear, Reference M100 center, Klipsch KSW-10s.

RobertVanWoerden

Ik ben benieuwd, mijn exemplaar is onderweg :)

Overigens heeft SW volgend mix werk al weer aangekondigd,

For the first part of the year I've been doing a lot of mixing work for other artists, something I always find very inspiring.

The new Opeth album Pale Communion was mixed into stereo and 5.1 at my studio in February. I also sang harmony vocals. It's by no stretch of the imagination a metal record but it's still plenty heavy and a great piece of work - for me the epic orchestrated ballad "Faith in Others" that closes the album is Mikael Åkerfeldt's finest achievement to date. Pale Communion is released by Roadrunner Records on 17th June. It's also the first Opeth album to be recorded and mixed in higher resolution 96/24. I hope Roadrunner will release a high res format, but I don't know their plans on that.

At the start of the year I mixed the new solo album by my long term friend and collaborator Tim Bowness. Abandoned Dancehall Dreams mainly consists of songs Tim wrote with a no-man record in mind, and was recorded with members of the touring band, so the material definitely has that DNA. The album is released by Inside Out Music on 23rd June.

Other mixes I have done recently are 4 songs on the forthcoming ANATHEMA - official band page album Distant Satellites, released by Kscope on 9th June, and one song on John Wesley's fantastic new album Disconnect, which was just released by InsideOut.

From here on I'm focusing on writing more material for my next album, which I plan to record with my band in the Summer. More news soon...

This week sees the official release of the second of my Yes (official) remixes, "The Yes Album" from 1970. Remixed faithfully into 5.1 surround sound and with both the original mix and a new stereo mix also included in 96/24 high resolution, it's available on Blu-Ray / CD and DVD-A / CD combinations with beautiful new packaging and copious bonus material.

Also on the way this Summer are my stereo / 5.1 remixes of Jethro Tull's A Passion Play (a 2 CD / 2 DVD set including the "lost" 1972 Chateau Tapes album), Gentle Giant's The Power and the Glory (Blu-Ray/CD and DVD/CD), and XTC's Drums and Wires (Blu-Ray/CD and DVD-A/CD). There are plans to continue with all of these artist's catalogues over time, with hopefully another early 70's Yes title towards the end of the year.

http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/product-category/classic-album-remixes/

Het houdt nog niet op, hoewel ik toch ook wel het vervolg van de King Crimson catalogus zou willen horen, maar daar zit weinig schot meer in.

Paul1967

Thick as a brick van Jethro Tull, hoopte dat die deze zomer zou uitkomen  :(
The power and the glory van Gentle Giant's  :thumbs-up: en weer een album van XTC maakt dan weer een hoop goed.

Paul1967

Quote from: RobertVanWoerden on April 23, 2014, 07:00:44
Hoi Paul, TAAB is al een tijdje uit in een SW mix versie, zie hier, http://www.amazon.de/Thick-Brick-Jethro-Tull-Anniversary/dp/B00EVSAA66/ref=sr_1_7?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1398229185&sr=1-7&keywords=Jethro+tull+thick+as+a+brick

Zo....heb ik die ff gemist  :omg:, komt waarschijnlijk door die dure Aqualung 5.1 uitgave dat ik het daarna niet zo gevolgd heb.
Heb hem meteen besteld, en bedankt man  ;)

RobertVanWoerden

Graag gedaan Paul. Misschine ken je het volgende forum al wel, www.quadraphonicquad.com. Veel surround freaks, inclusief de mensen die werken aan de surround releases van Steven Wilson, zoals Neil Wilkes, Jon urban en Bob Romano.

Hier ook een lijst met de SW mixen, buiten zijn eigen muziek om,  http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?16377-Steven-Wilson-2-0-5-1-mixes Staat heel wat moois tussen, voor het geval je nog wat surround mist :)

Worstebrood

YAY! Meneer Wilson heeft aangekondigd dat Relayer in november uit gaat komen op Blu-ray audio.
Kanniewachte.  :pompom:
Live Long and Prosper

RobertVanWoerden

Ja, wordt weer goed. Gates of Delirium in 5.1 :) en als het goed is komt er nog meer van de hand van Steven Wilson.

Five more Steven Wilson classic album remixes are to be released this year, including two iconic 80's albums that reached number 1 in the UK and USA respectively. All should be officially announced over the next few weeks.