het (geavanceerde) HTPC topic (alles over madVR, ReClock, SVP, LAV, XBMC, Jriver

Started by THX-UltraII, September 17, 2012, 11:42:55

Previous topic - Next topic

maximus79

Quote from: riwi on February 28, 2019, 13:48:22
In de SDR bron zit in heldere gedeeltes weinig detail. Luchten/lichte gedeeltes zijn vaak een beetje overshot. Dat is het gevolg van de gamma curve die voor CRT/fosfor beeldbuizen was bedacht. In een HDR bron zit meer detail zowel in donkere gedeeltes als in de heldere gedeeltes. Daarnaast bevat de UHD/HDR bron de rec2020 kleuren. Door de mapping statisch te doen zal je inderdaad tov standaard SDR niet veel winnen behalve de rec2020 kleuren. Door iedere scene te analyseren, kan de mapping slimmer gedaan worden en details in het donker juist behouden en details in een heldere scene in het licht net zo.
Theoretisch zou ik ook het behoud van de 10bit kleurresolutie een voordeel vinden (SDR met rec2020 en met 10bit per kleur output). Maar ik begreep van williams (dat zegt madshi) dat het beter is om naar 8 bit terug te rekenen bij de dynamische conversie van HDR naar SDR.

Ik vond het er bij williams geweldig uit zien met de dynamische mapping.  O0

Ok bedankt, maar die dynamische mapping heb je daar dan geen aangepaste gamma voor nodig? Moet er niet apart een kalibratie voor toegepast worden?
7.1.4 | Lexicon Mc-10 | 3x A*BNB Eindtrap| LCR: 3x A*BNB Cinemax18 actief | 4x M&K 750 surrounds | JVC N5 | KINGPIN Velvet Framed Screen VFS270-2:35.1 | 4x Boston Acoustics A25 (atmos) | Subs: A*BNB 2x 2x10 en Hoverboss | DIY Envy | Xbox Series X | Sony 4k X800 | Shield | ATV4k | Dune | TV: Sony 65x8505c | Bluesound Node 2

hifiman

Het idee achter de 8 bits is dat je die 2 bit extra per kleur toch niet gaat zien (beperking van ons menselijk oog) maar wel de kans vergroot op hdmi issues vanwege de hogere bandbreedte, met name bij 60 Hz materiaal.

maximus79

Goede uitleg gevonden:

Correct, but just to clarify, there is no HDR flag. The content is still HDR, but none of the HDR metadata is sent to the projector to prevent it from switching to its HDR mode/gamma automatically. The only thing that tells the display that it's dealing with HDR content is the HDR metadata. If you don't sent it, the display thinks it's displaying SDR even if exactly the same content is sent.

I know you know the rest, but I'm going to try to explain for others.

What people don't understand is that when we say HDR metadata, it doesn't mean HDR content, or an HDR layer on top of an SDR layer. On UHD Bluray, there is no SDR layer. There is an HDR10 mandatory layer, and optionally a DV layer or soon an HDR10+ layer (let's ignore that for now). So you have an HDR10 mandatory layer, and HDR metadata that describes the way this HDR10 layer was created, and (theoretically) which kind of data it contains. It's metadata, not data. If you don't send the HDR metadata, you are still sending the full HDR10 layer, and it's that HDR layer that is displayed, either using a custom curve or gamma D (in our projectors). If you use an SDR calibration to display it, it won't be displayed properly, which proves that it's still HDR content.

When doing and HDR to SDR conversion, whether in the source or in the display, we are changing the location of the conversion, but it's not necessarily the same kind of conversion:

- When we use the UB900 HDR to SDR BT2020 conversion, the source is assuming an SDR display (i.e. a non-HDR-capable display), so it's tone mapping to about 100nits peakY. It is therefore NOT using all the potential brightness in the PJ, for those who can reach significantly above that. This means that although it's doing a decent job, it's NOT using the whole dynamic range of the display (the highlights are far more compressed). The advantage is better black levels and better native contrast (if we close the iris to get 100nits peakY), but the downside is less dynamic range. You are NOT watching HDR with this conversion, and it is INFERIOR to what a well-designed custom curve can provide, unless your display has significantly less than 100nits peak brightness.
- When we use MadVR or the Oppo new f/w or the Radiance Pro to do the HDR to SDR conversion, we are telling the source how bright the display can be, and the source is expecting the content to be displayed on an HDR-capable display, i.e. a display able to reach far more than 100nits (if we're not talking about projectors). So in that case, the HDR to SDR conversion, despite the fact that it's done in the source, is using the same range (whole native brightness) the display is capable of, which means that it's still displaying HDR content and it will look just as HDR (if well done) as it would if the display was in HDR mode. The downside is that if we use the iris fully open, the black floor goes up (and the native contrast goes down). But this is not an issue if you're willing to use the DI, as you then get a far better overall contrast, even if the black floor is slightly raised.

In both these cases, because the source is sending the content using a power gamma and not an ST2084 gamma, we have to use an SDR calibration, but the content displayed is still HDR!

The HUGE advantage for projectors of doing the HDR to SDR conversion in the source when the source is aware that the display is HDR capable, is that we can calibrate accurately and automatically to a known standard, in that case SDR BT2020 power gamma 2.4. This is NOT possible to do at this stage with HDR, simply because there is no HDR standard for projectors (bar ST2390 which isn't supported by all software yet).

So calibrating the display to SDR BT-2020 and asking the source to do the conversion while being aware that it can send "SDR" content that goes far above 100nits (i.e. HDR content) is what makes a whole difference. When the source is able to adapt the ST2390 curve to the content dynamically, the results are even better.

In other words, when we say "HDR", we mean content with a high dynamic range, i.e. using (usually) more than 0-100nits encoded with an ST-2084 gamma.

But when we say "SDR", we can mean two things: 1) legacy content encoded with a standard dynamic range and a power gamma or BT1886 gamma, or 2) HDR content converted to a power gamma 2.4, but still covering a high dynamic range (and ideally a WCG, hence BT2020).

It's important to make this distinction, otherwise it's not possible to understand the difference between the HDR to SDR conversion of the UB900 (type 1) and the HDR to SDR conversion from MadVR, new Oppo f/w or Radiance Pro (type 2).

I know it's enough to do most people's head in, but unfortunately that's what we have to deal with in these early days of HDR implementation.

And now I'm really out...
7.1.4 | Lexicon Mc-10 | 3x A*BNB Eindtrap| LCR: 3x A*BNB Cinemax18 actief | 4x M&K 750 surrounds | JVC N5 | KINGPIN Velvet Framed Screen VFS270-2:35.1 | 4x Boston Acoustics A25 (atmos) | Subs: A*BNB 2x 2x10 en Hoverboss | DIY Envy | Xbox Series X | Sony 4k X800 | Shield | ATV4k | Dune | TV: Sony 65x8505c | Bluesound Node 2

reza

Jezus zegt :'' In het huis van mijn Vader zijn vele kamers''
Reza zegt : '' Kom dus naar binnen"

maximus79

Quote from: reza on February 28, 2019, 19:06:17
Dit is voor jou makkelijker dan wat wij schreven :D
Nee, Riwi legde het ook goed uit, maar wel een compleet verhaal dit.

maximus79

Lees net dat Madshi bezig is met iets heel spannends, HDMI IN.......MADVR voor alle bronnen!!

maximus79

maximus79

Niet te enthousiast jongens.....maar in ieder geval, ik wacht wel even met de bouw van mijn HTPC. [emoji6]

reza

maximus79

Quote from: reza on March  1, 2019, 07:15:22
Why?
Omdat er waarschijnlijk een stand alone kastje komt welke de dynamische tone mapping van Madvr kan gaan doen, met HDMI in.....

Verder nog weinig bekend.

reza

Inderdaad. Ik kon in eerste instantie de site niet openen om te lezen, nu wel.
Ik ben benieuwd. Ik wilde ook een htpc gaan bouwen maar daar heb ik eigenlijk helemaal geen verstand van. Nu wilde hifiman en Williams me daar wel bij helpen maar ik blijf dan afhankelijk omdat mijn kennis van computers 0 is :D
Met zo'n kastje werkt het waarschijnlijk beter hopelijk meer plug and play maar de prijs?
De htpc zit rond de 500 volgens mijn berekeningen.
Als dit net zo of goedkoper is is het een homerun in mijn beleving.

maximus79

Quote from: reza on March  1, 2019, 08:54:49
Inderdaad. Ik kon in eerste instantie de site niet openen om te lezen, nu wel.
Ik ben benieuwd. Ik wilde ook een htpc gaan boren naar daar heb ik eigenlijk helemaal geen verstand van. Nu wilde hifiman en Williams me daar wel bij helpen maar ik blijf dan afhankelijk omdat mijn kennis van computers 0 is :D
Met zo'n kastje werkt het waarschijnlijk beter hopelijk meer plug and play maar de prijs?
De htpc zit rond de 500 volgens mijn berekeningen.
Als dit net zo of goedkoper is is het een homerun in mijn beleving.

Ik ben ook heel erg benieuwd heb me aangemeld op zijn site. Mmmh ik kwam op 900 euro uit voor mijn HTPC...... ;D

reza

Grafische kaart is volgens mij het duurste en die koop je al voor 250..

maximus79

Quote from: reza on March  1, 2019, 11:32:07
Grafische kaart is volgens mij het duurste en die koop je al voor 250..
Ik zou voor de RTX 2060 gegaan zijn, die is +-350.

reza

Ik niet :D
Maar goed de rest hoeft niet super duur te zijn.
Zeker niet als je op MP kijkt/koopt.

riwi

Quote from: maximus79 on March  1, 2019, 08:57:05
Ik ben ook heel erg benieuwd heb me aangemeld op zijn site. Mmmh ik kwam op 900 euro uit voor mijn HTPC...... ;D
Ik had ook al wat geinventariseerd en ging al snel naar de 1000 euro.

Een GTX1070 dacht ik met of zonder TI. Dan een normale i3 + mobo + geheugen + SSD voor het OS + voeding en een kast die lekker stil is en compact. D'r was ook weer een nieuwe grafische (GTX1660TI) las ik die goedkoper zou zijn, maar weet niet of die goed is voor MadVR.

Die losse oplossing zou ook heel interessant kunnen zijn.

maximus79

Madshi heeft wat info los gelaten. Hoop dat de prijs niet te hoog word......

1. madVR is about way more than just tone mapping, as is the Envy.

2. madVR's algorithms require tons of processing power. There will be hardware parts in the Envy that each cost more than an HD Fury device. The initial release is going to be for the high-end home theater market. Pricing is not set yet, but I can say that if you're looking for prices anywhere near to an HD Fury device I'm afraid you will be deeply disappointed.

3. There are still some hurdles to clear before I know when (or even if) the Envy will be available, but I hope it will be available soon. Ideally I would have waited longer before pre-announcing the Envy, but interest in HTPCs for madVR has really taken off lately, mainly due to all the recent improvements in HDR tone mapping, so I wanted people to know about the Envy in case they prefer not to build an HTPC and wanted something that needs no tweaking and is more versatile.

I hope this helps clear some things up, as I can't really say more at this point, but I'll try to release some tidbits along the way

hifiman

Quote from: riwi on March  1, 2019, 15:07:53
Ik had ook al wat geinventariseerd en ging al snel naar de 1000 euro.
Geloof dat ik er voor 1100 in heb zitten, inclusief de kast dan ;-) Maar volgens mij werd er heerlijk nieuw en 2de hands langs elkaar heen gepraat  ;D

reza

williams

Ik verwacht ook niet dat dit onder de 1000 gaat komen gezien je aardig wat rekenkracht nodig hebt om madVR op de hoogste settings te kunnen laten draaien .
Wel mooi natuurlijk dat er hardware komt met een hdmi ingang zodat je ook andere bronnen erop aan kunt sluiten .
JVC NP-5   Marantz Cinema 40  ,B&W ct 7.5 /klipsch  atmos / REL ht1508
Stewart Studio Tech 130 G4  21/9 with masking  ,HTPC madVR  ,Apple TV4K
Dune HD solo 4k ,  Chord spm2400 ,Panasonic DMP-UB9000 ,Sony 55xe9305 ,Sonos playbar , Zidoo Zx9 , Pioneer CLD 925 , Panamorph DCR, Bluesound Node 2.

hifiman

Quote from: williams on March  2, 2019, 12:16:08
Ik verwacht ook niet dat dit onder de 1000 gaat komen gezien je aardig wat rekenkracht nodig hebt om madVR op de hoogste settings te kunnen laten draaien .
Wel mooi natuurlijk dat er hardware komt met een hdmi ingang zodat je ook andere bronnen erop aan kunt sluiten .
Ik denk eerder nog het dubbele of misschien nog veel meer.... Gezien veel ontwikkelingstijd versus kleine markt  en de custom hardware die wellicht wat kleiner moet worden als een hele pc.

reza

hifiman

maximus79

Teejoo