Ridley Scott Reveals 'Alien' Prequel Details

Started by flash1982, April 23, 2010, 23:26:40

Previous topic - Next topic

flash1982

It isn't overstating things to say that Ridley Scott is among the greatest filmmakers of all time, and "Alien" is among the greatest films of all time. So how could anyone not be eager to learn every little detail about his prequel to the 1979 classic?

On Thursday (April 22), we caught up with the "Robin Hood" director to speak with him for next week's MTV Summer Movie Preview. And when he mentioned that he was feasting his eyes upon the latest "Untitled 'Alien' Prequel" script pages, we couldn't help but ask some questions.

What followed might be the most revealing interview Sir Ridley has given thus far on the top-secret project. Read on for exclusive details concerning the prequel's plot, creature design and the woman — not named Sigourney Weaver — who will soon be kicking alien ass:

MTV: We're very excited about your return to the "Aliens" world — what's going on with it at this point?

Ridley Scott: As we speak, I've got a pile of pages next to me; it's like the fourth draft. It's a work in progress, but we're not dreaming it up anymore. We know what the story is. We're now actually trying to improve the three acts and make the characters better, build it up to something [we can shoot]. It's a work in progress, but we're actually making the film. There's no question about it, we're going to make the film.

MTV Imagines The Kick-Ass Stars Of An 'Alien' Prequel 

MTV: Awesome.

Scott: Now it's a matter of, how good can I get the screenplay in the next few weeks so I can get a good ballpark figure of what it will cost. I've already got people working graphically on designs for the various requirements of the film.

MTV: Since this is a prequel, will you need to make the ships more primitive-looking than in "Alien"?

Scott: It's set in 2085, about 30 years before Sigourney [Weaver's character Ellen Ripley]. It's fundamentally about going out to find out 'Who the hell was that Space Jockey?' The guy who was sitting in the chair in the alien vehicle — there was a giant fellow sitting in a seat on what looked to be either a piece of technology or an astronomer's chair. Remember that?

MTV: Of course.

Scott: And our man [Tom Skerritt as Captain Dallas] climbs up and says "There's been an explosion in his chest from the inside out — what was that?" I'm basically explaining who that Space Jockey — we call him the Space Jockey — I'm explaining who the space jockeys were.

MTV: And is the Weyland-Yutani company in existence at this point?

Scott: It's Weyland. Weyland hasn't joined Yutani yet, so they go and see Weyland. [The film] is about the discussion of terraforming — taking planets and planetoids and balls of earth and trying to terraform, seed them with the possibilities of future life.

MTV: We know how obsessive "Alien" fans can get. Are you going to make a film that doesn't require having seen any of the other movies?

Scott: Totally. Yes. [People will still get it], because there's a lot of copying, dude.

MTV: There's a lot of copying of your movies.

Scott: There's a lot of homage. Is that the polite word? Homage? I call it something else. [Laughs.]

MTV: Will Sigourney Weaver have any participation at all?

Scott: It will be before she was born!

MTV: So not even a voice-over, explaining things? Nothing?

Scott: Well, the main character [in the prequel] will be a woman, yeah. We're thinking it could go down that route, yeah. When I started the original "Alien," Ripley wasn't a woman, it was a guy. During casting, we thought, "Why don't we make it a woman?"

MTV: So will you be creating new aliens for your prequel?

Scott: What you have to do is — were there four or five "Alien" films? I can't remember how many followed.

MTV: There were three after you, then the "Alien vs. Predator" nonsense.

Scott: Yeah, the thing about "Alien vs. Predator" is, I know it's commerce, but what a pity. I think, therefore, I have to design — or redesign — earlier versions of what these elements are that led to the thing you finally see in "Alien," which is the thing that catapults out of the egg, the face-hugger.

MTV: OK.

Scott: I don't want to repeat it. The alien in a sense, as a shape, is worn out.

MTV: Will you consult the original alien designer, H.R. Giger, on these ideas?

Scott: Yeah, he's still around. Once I get more serious and get going, and the big wheels start turning, we'll certainly talk. And maybe we'll come up with something completely different.

MTV: In your mind, when do cameras begin rolling on the film?

Scott: We're hoping to have it in theaters in late 2011, or maybe the best date in 2012.

MTV: Have you given any thought on how you'll feel when you walk on set that first time, how you'll deal with the déjà vu from 1979?

Scott: Yeah, it'll be weird, because I always said I'll never do a sequel. [Laughs.]

MTV: What made you change your mind?

Scott: Honestly? They've squeezed the franchise dry. The first one will always be the most frightening, because the beast we put together with Giger and all its parts — the face-hugger, the chest-burster, the egg — they were all totally original, and that's hard to follow. ... I've always avoided sequels, unless I felt there was something fresh.

Sol

Current HT:  Denon 3808 | Monitor Audio GS20 + RX LCR | Sony 55W9 | Oppo 93 | PS4 | PS3 Phat | PS2 Phat

Not only do I not know the answer, I don't even know what the question is.

flash1982

Just yesterday, we reported a big story where Ridley Scott finally explained what the concept and story of the Alien prequel that he's currently developing would be. Yesterday was also the same day when endless amounts of 3D news hit (and it looks like Sherlock Holmes 2 is joining in on the 3D fun, too) and although we already knew that the prequel would be in 3D, Scott confirms that they're actually going to shoot it from the start in 3D. "Absolutely" was the answer he gave when asked if that's what they would be doing. In fact, they're going to be using more advanced cameras then the ones James Cameron used on Avatar.You may have also noticed that in the headline that we said "both Alien prequels." Well, Collider was one of a few sites at a roundtable interview with Scott, who confirmed that there are indeed two prequels they're developing. Why only two and not a trilogy (as rumored)? Well, it seems like that's the story arc they came up with. "It'll be two. It'll be prequel one and two. Then Alien 1." So believe it or not (I am so excited to hear this), Scott's very next project will indeed be the Alien prequel. When asked if he'll shoot them back-to-back, he said that "at the moment, I'm just trying to get the first one out." That screenplay is on its fourth draft.

The anti-convert-to-3D backlash has been getting stronger, so it's great to hear that Ridley will be shooting this highly anticipated prequel in 3D from the start

Read more: http://www.firstshowing.net/2010/04/24/ridley-scott-confirms-both-alien-prequels-will-be-shot-in-3d/#ixzz0m7UsJnIC

Sol

Dat moet wel fantastisch worden...maar...kun je hem dan ook nog wel gewoon kijken op een 'gewone' 2D (HD)TV? :-\
Current HT:  Denon 3808 | Monitor Audio GS20 + RX LCR | Sony 55W9 | Oppo 93 | PS4 | PS3 Phat | PS2 Phat

celerontje

If you want to see The Dark Knight really ''dark'', then simply power-off your projector! ;)

I will look for you, I will find you, and I will make an HT addict of you!

Sol

Je ne sais pas... :)
Omdat ze vanaf het begin in 3-D opgenomen zullen gaan worden? :unsure:

taaiewillem

Voor 2-D hoef je toch maar alleen één van de beide sporen te pakken?
Onkyo709/Pana42g10/PanaBD80/Marantz DV9600/Stax Lambda Pro/XXLS400/AM8033/Amphony100/ Dual1009+Orthofon/XTZ99.26's

skank1

HT stijnopolis: Epson TW9300, Marantz sr7010, Custom 21:9 widescreen, Vero 4K, Fronts: Focal 826V, Center: Focal CC800V, Surrounds: Focal SR700 SurroundBacks: Focal 807V + Norstone stylum 2 stands.., Dual sub: SVS PC12SND-DSP/SVS Pb12+
Woonkamer setup: LG 4K Oled Tv 55C7V, Shield TV, Orange TV , JBL Bar 9.1
Gaming: : PS5, PS4, Nintendo Switch, Wii

Sol

Quote from: taaiewillem on April 25, 2010, 23:13:46
Voor 2-D hoef je toch maar alleen één van de beide sporen te pakken?

Geen idee, ben een n00b op dat gebied. :D

Lightspeed

Ha, geweldig om te lezen, mij benieuwen wanneer het te zien zal zijn.
:lookaround:
-> nu weer 'back to basics' in STEREO <-
[ Yamaha A-S301 + CambridgeAudio 651BD + Tannoy RevolutionSignature DC4 + Sharp LC32LE705 & Yamaha ingebouwde DAC]
[ GDrive hdd 750GB -Firewire800 > Mac Mini -2010, Audirvana+ 2 & iTunes -A/FLAC muziek > USB 16&24bit > iFi Nano idsd DAC. ]
[ Dual 505-1 (Ortofon) ]

Maartje

even een abonnementje

Volgens IMDB een budget voor 250.000.000 voor deel 1

staat aangekondigd voor 2011 en 2012 voor deel 2

ik denk dat dat wel wat later gaat worden . .
Hugh Hefner died . . . .did he whent to a better place ? . .

Maartje

Hugh Hefner died . . . .did he whent to a better place ? . .