DIY speakers, Avalon clones Milestones/Soup/Eidolon clone

Started by mangew, January 30, 2007, 13:15:59

Previous topic - Next topic

mangew

A easy and fast way to build is with "biscuits"

Internal bracing:

The front is made of 6 layer of 19mm MDF = 114mm thick. Needed for the chamfers on the sides but will also do the cabinet very solid.

fgroen

Cool!!!

Looks familiar...  ;)

What units do you intend to use?
Een aktief leven geeft meer voldoening dan een passief leven.

fgroen

Quote from: fgroen on April 13, 2007, 10:15:25
Cool!!!

Looks familiar...  ;)

What units do you intend to use?

Oh! Missed some pics. Accuton tweet and C2-79 mid for sure. What woofer will you combine it with? A C2-220 to make an Opus-like speaker or a 10" unit to make an Eidolon-like model?

It looks a bit "fat" for an opus, actually...  8)

mangew

Quote from: fgroen on April 13, 2007, 10:17:55
Oh! Missed some pics. Accuton tweet and C2-79 mid for sure. What woofer will you combine it with? A C2-220 to make an Opus-like speaker or a 10" unit to make an Eidolon-like model?

It looks a bit "fat" for an opus, actually...  8)

It will be the 11 inch Eton woofer and C2-79 mid and C2 12/6 tweeter. I will make the Eidolon like speaker since i think it could suit my music taste (rock, blues etc.) better than the 8 inch woofer in Opus (milestone).

They sure will be pretty heavy, mabye not as heavy than yours!   8) Will cover the inside of the walls with heavy damping material making the cabinet more massive.

BernHardN

Onkyo TX-NR818
Front: Vifa Sense
Sony Oled KD-65AG9

SVS Sub
Apple tv4K
Shanling MTW100

mangew

850 EUR!?  i make the cabinet at 1/3 of the price and some hours...The reason i mostly build is beside i want good speakers at resonable price i think it´s fun to build and find out new finishes to try.

BernHardN

It's tru, when your alble to build it, and it's fun to when you make it your one

Onkyo TX-NR818
Sony Oled KD-65AG9

SVS Sub
Apple tv4K
Shanling MTW100

Erik van Voorst (in memoriam)

Quote from: mangew on April 13, 2007, 14:17:05
850 EUR!?  i make the cabinet at 1/3 of the price and some hours...The reason i mostly build is beside i want good speakers at resonable price i think it´s fun to build and find out new finishes to try.

I agree that it is fun to build but please be careful with price quotings out of its context......John is very skillful and a handbuilt cabinet for 850 to somebody who is not so artisinal is not a huge amount of money...so please see these things into perspective.. ;).

I would love to see the photo´s when ready...keep up the Goodwork...I mean Woodwork.. 8)
HIROYASU KONDO has been mystical in his relationship to physical matter but as a professor of electrical engineering and molecular mechanics, his audio engineering is of the highest order.  It's about looking for years at how to achieve a certain sound and adopting technical solutions to get there!

mangew

Quote from: Erik van Voorst on April 13, 2007, 20:27:18
I agree that it is fun to build but please be careful with price quotings out of its context......John is very skillful and a handbuilt cabinet for 850 to somebody who is not so artisinal is not a huge amount of money...so please see these things into perspective.. ;).

I would love to see the photo´s when ready...keep up the Goodwork...I mean Woodwork.. 8)

I´m not saying a total of mabye 850 EUR for cabinet + somewhere 2000-2500 EUR for speaker units and crossover parts making a total of a bit over 3000 EUR would be expensive for the speakers, probably extremely cheap according to what the price would be buying similar from store . I´m saying i can easily do the cabinet for around 1/3 - 1/2 of the money by myself with nice finish price depending on it (aluminium, paint, veneer) , and do not underestimate my woodworking skills either  8)

But in other hand, not sure i would start doing cabinets to others for 850 EUR, would depend on time and interest at the moment....I have had some people that wanted to order hand made cabinets for different speakers but have every time denied. So if someone want to make cabinets to others it´s fine for those who can´t at resonable price in that manner (like the mentioned 850 for avaclone)...no one had said anything else.  O0

Erik van Voorst (in memoriam)

No problem... :)

Did you saw your own MDF...if so please be careful not to forget to calibrate your table every now and then in order to adjust your tablesaw...it is probable not 90 degrees and therefor leaving burnmarks on the wood...and slight measure deviations... ;)
Just a tip no harm intended... ;)
HIROYASU KONDO has been mystical in his relationship to physical matter but as a professor of electrical engineering and molecular mechanics, his audio engineering is of the highest order.  It's about looking for years at how to achieve a certain sound and adopting technical solutions to get there!

mangew

Erik: I have cutted the pieces all by myself, and with help of a friend. The burnmarks seeing on some pieces probably comes from that the table on the saw was to small so it was needed to hold it in one side of MDF and cut and therefore not the most stable cutting made in this world. The difference there may be is in the end negligible since much will be chamfered, sandpapered, and fixed with putty. The skills on finish part is up to proof and how good you made the groundwork often shows in the end. I have so far never got complains on my speaker projects  ;)

A secret is that most of the outer walls are cutted 1-2 mm bigger and fixed with tools to look good  8)

Anyway, the work is still in progress and after the weekend more building pics will come.

mangew

A few more of the building of these Eidolon clones:

It is a lot of work and a lot of wood

I have covered the middlerange cabinet, build as an 3 edge with bitumen.

About these speakers, i have much help from people from this forum. These are mostly speakers constructed by people here, i only may do some minor changes. I appreciate all the help.

sphere

never mind, I was coffee-deficient.  ;D
"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible."

BernHardN

Onkyo TX-NR818
Sony Oled KD-65AG9

SVS Sub
Apple tv4K
Shanling MTW100

fgroen

Quote from: BernHardN on April 17, 2007, 09:41:30
its funny to see the snow when here it's 28'C  :D

Indeed, I was thinking: "this guy must live north of the arctic circle!!!"  ;D

Neat work indeed. For my first design of the Avaclone I also contemlated a wedge shaped midrange enclosure. (for the C2-79) In the end, I went berserk with the midrange enclosure of the C2-90.  8)

scau

Hello  my name is scau and I would like you to send me a  higher resolution drawing for the SOUP enclosure , some detailes in english on how to build it about yours clones avalon eidolon.

Thank you.

fgroen

Quote from: scau on April 17, 2007, 10:30:45
Hello  my name is scau and I would like you to send me a  higher resolution drawing for the SOUP enclosure , some detailes in english on how to build it about yours clones avalon eidolon.

Thank you.

Check out www.humblehomemadehifi.com, or directly this page

I suggest you ask Tony Gee (owner of humble homemade hifi) for a drawing, as he's the appropriate person to ask.

scau

thank you .if the woofer use eton 11-581/50,mid use c79/6 ,high use c12/6.how many litre of the woof tank .

mangew

QuoteIndeed, I was thinking: "this guy must live north of the arctic circle!!!" 

No, i dont live north of Artic circle. I live 150km south of it  8)

And a common answer i have got from forum visitors in Sweden, most of them live in the south is about the snow. Seems like an exotic thing for many, i could be glad we have this. We have snow in the winter, sometimes about -35 celsius, a long dark winter but much light also thanks to snow. Then we have extremely light summer since we have sunshine 24H/day, and the summer temp often over +30 celsuis.

This weekend, when i built on the speakers i stood out in the garden, was +15 celsius and sunshine which are perfect weather for building speakers. Comfortable temp and good light.

Rob_Dingen

Hi scau
Quote from: scau on April 17, 2007, 11:02:08
thank you .if the woofer use eton 11-581/50,mid use c79/6 ,high use c12/6.how many litre of the woof tank .
Aboud 75 litres.

Rob

scau

thanks
75L is that for a whole unit?or only the single woof?

mangew

According to my calculations is the whole internal volyme be around 85L, and excluded box for mid and internal bracing somewhere 70-75L for woofer.

mangew

mangew

Internally it´s a lot of bracing, all glueing with construction glue PL400 covered with silocone and walls covered with bitumen making the cabinet extremely strong and heavy.