Galvanische scheiding versterker-bron?

Started by Deleted member, March 5, 2011, 16:28:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Deleted member

Heren, ik heb een vraag van elektrotechnische aard en ik kom er niet uit, wie weet kan iemand me op weg helpen. :)

Ik overweeg een USB DAC/transport direct aan m'n Lyngdorf te koppelen dat geen galvanisch gescheiden SPDIF output heeft. Nu wil ik eigenlijk de 'ground' en 'in-/output' signalen tussen m'n HTPC en versterker (en dus hele set) volledig (galvanisch) gescheiden hebben of beter gezegd helemaal geen noise uit de HTPC m'n set in krijgen.

Mijn Lyngdorf TDAi2200 zegt te beschikken over een "true galvanic separation" voor elke input:

In the Lyngdorf Audio TDAI-2200 we have taken an extra step (at considerable extra cost) of
adding filtering and ensuring the true galvanic separation of each single input. In that way the
ground planes for the digital and analog domains are completely separated and sounddeteriorating
ground loops are prevented.

In de handleiding lees ik bij de specs:

QuoteBalanced input connectors 3 pin XLR, gold-plated. Case=Gnd, Pin1=Gnd, Pin2=Hot(+), Pin3=Cold(-)
Balanced input impedance 10kOhm AC-coupled.
Unbalanced input connectors RCA (phono) jack, gold-plated. Case=Gnd, Tip=Hot(+)
Unbalanced input impedance 10kOhm AC-coupled

Oftewel, hier lijkt bij een RCA input de bron AC-coupled aan de ground te hangen.

Mag ik er nu vanuit gaan dat het niet uitmaakt welke bron ik aan de Lyngdorf hang en alle HF noise uit de in dit geval HTPC op afstand blijft of komt die door de AC koppeling toch de versterker in? En is dit de meest ideale manier van elektrisch koppelen (los van optisch via Toslink)?

Alvast bedankt voor eventuele reacties!  :)

--
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_isolation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitive_coupling

AbZ

[misverstand]

Deleted member

Het was meer dat ik in eerste even vastliep in het begrijpen van 't probleem. Inmiddels herinner ik me weer de theorie, AC koppeling blokkeert DC maar zal bij steeds hoger wordende frequenties ook steeds meer door gaan laten. Ik vond nog een interessant stuk ook op computeraudiophile.com wat me e.e.a. weer deed herinneren.  ;)

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/USB-V-Link-or-Halide-SPDIF-DAC-or-SPDIF-DAC-whats-better-RCA-or-Optical-SPDIF
QuoteHi Jeff,

The following is in part a further response to your query, and in part a summation of the little knowledge I have acquired mostly through the posts of many here on this site. I hope the elaboration is of some use to you and others visiting this site, particularly those who are looking to dip their toes into computer audio for the first time...

The last poster (sorry don't know his name) knows his stuff given she/he used a highly modded 840c (see his review on the dac he mentions in the dac forum), and his point is a good one: would the money spent on the v-link of or equivalent be better spent on a USB dac? Probably...

However, the value of a usb to spdif converter lies in its flexibility with regard to which dac you use now or in future (you have the option of using whatever dac you wish, providing it has a sdpif or optical in), and what form of connection you make between your PC and dac. The latter is relevant where galvanic isolation is a concern/priority, as not all dacs (usb included) include a form of isolation:

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=pcaudio&n=84353&highlight=

On a related note, optical connection, by its very nature, means your pc and dac are galvanically isolated, and it may be that as an interface it is underrated. Naim recommend it for their big dollar dac. MF do for the v-link (if only perhaps because the coax has no isolation), and FWIW the designer of CMP /cplay (no nonsense chap from what I gather) also found toslink to excel far and away beyond popular conception (albeit in a particular context):

"It is strongly recommended that a good 24/192-capable soundcard is selected with quality drivers and an optical output. This last permits galvanic isolation, which is not possible with other interfaces. As demonstrated in Chapter 3 and despite a bad press, Toslink excels when providing 24/96 output over good cables such as the Audioquest Optilink 5 or the Van Den Hul Optocoupler."

from http://www.cicsmemoryplayer.com/index.php?n=CMP.05Components#soundcard
(near bottom of page)

Bottom line:

If you have a legacy dac (no usb input, async or otherwise) that you have no intention of changing, or plan on using a legacy dac in the future, a usb to spdif converter, of which the v-link seems to offer excellent value for money, is a good place to start. You should have reduced jitter and, when using a decent toslink cable, increased isolation from the noisy environment that a PC is, relative to the digital out of an average sound card, should the isolation be needed.

If you think a new dac is in order, then an async usb dac may be the ticket, but check that it has some galvanic isolation built in, and then explore the use of "performance" usb cables, including ones that do not carry power (where the dac is not reliant on power from the usb bus).

In both cases, optimising the PC (be it Mac or windows based) will yield improvements (e.g., SSD instead of spindle based HDD, etc).

The third option, and the one I wish to explore, is to pair a linux based "digital transport" by Auraliti (or home brew if you are a complete sadist) with a dac of one's liking (I'm fixated ATM on Rega's new dac). The Auraliti products are "low noise" to start with, relative to other PC solutions. Plus, the soon to be released PK200 has a transformer coupled (i.e., isolated) spdif output, and the Rega dac also has isolated spdif inputs. The soon to be released PKUSB, paired with a AR-T Legato usb-spdif converter, into the Rega dac, should also give a similar level of isolation albeit for playback of redbook only files.

According to Charlie Hansen: "No isolation is perfect, especially at GHz+ speeds. At 1 GHz, 1 picofarad of leakage capacitance has an impedance of only 16 ohms. The more isolation, the better, and double isolation would probably provide an audible improvement (at least in some systems)." (I hope I am quoting you in the right context, Mr Hansen).

A fourth option is a windows based PC designed exclusively to play digital music. One could roll their own. A good place to start (and perhaps finish) is the CMP/CPLAY XP-based system, or Chris's own CAPS windows 7 based system. It should be noted that a low noise windows-based system like the ones above could be paired with a usb dac in place of a high-spec sound card. However, given the designers spec of such sound cards, it suggests that usb async dacs (and usb to spdif converters for that matter) are by far and away not the only means to high fidelity, even if they are perhaps the simplest means for many users.

Ron

AbZ

BuSpu

Ik kan weinig licht op de zaak werpen maar vind de vraagstelling in ieder geval duidelijk.

Quote from: Antoine on March  5, 2011, 16:28:01
Mag ik er nu vanuit gaan dat het niet uitmaakt welke bron ik aan de Lyngdorf hang en alle HF noise uit de in dit geval HTPC op afstand blijft of komt die door de AC koppeling toch de versterker in?

Antoine wil gewoon weten of hij z'n HTPC gewoon kan aansluiten omdat de Lyngdorf speciale aardingsvoorzieningen heeft. Dit vanuit het oogpunt dat ie zo min mogelijk HF ellende uit z'n PC in z'n versterker wil. Duidelijk toch?  :thumbs-up:

AbZ

Quote from: BuSpu on March  5, 2011, 19:37:37
Ik kan weinig licht op de zaak werpen maar vind de vraagstelling in ieder geval duidelijk. [...] Duidelijk toch?  :thumbs-up:
Dacht ik ook ja  :dry:

garmtz

Quote from: Antoine on March  5, 2011, 16:28:01
Oftewel, hier lijkt bij een RCA input de bron AC-coupled aan de ground te hangen.

Is vrijwel altijd zo. Daarom is het single-ended. Daar hangt vrijwel altijd de nul aan gnd. Maar dat staat los van de DIGITALE RCA ingang, die is vaak ontkoppeld via een trafo.

QuoteMag ik er nu vanuit gaan dat het niet uitmaakt welke bron ik aan de Lyngdorf hang en alle HF noise uit de in dit geval HTPC op afstand blijft of komt die door de AC koppeling toch de versterker in? En is dit de meest ideale manier van elektrisch koppelen (los van optisch via Toslink)?

Je kunt ervan uitgaan dat ze bij Lyngdorf hun best gedaan hebben een mooie scheiding aan te brengen, maar die zal dus nooit 100% zijn... Het beste is om dat bij de bron goed aan te pakken. Clichee, maar waar... :)

Kingpin

Quote from: garmtz on March  8, 2011, 16:02:34
Is vrijwel altijd zo. Daarom is het single-ended. Daar hangt vrijwel altijd de nul aan gnd. Maar dat staat los van de DIGITALE RCA ingang, die is vaak ontkoppeld via een trafo.
Kun je me dit eens uitleggen? Je gaat een digitale RCA ingang (of uitgang) ontkoppelen met een trafo ?
Mainset : Kingpin TVC Preamplifier, Kingpin Tripath Amplifier, Logitech Squeezebox Touch, Kingpin Touch LiPo Power Supply, Metrum NOS DAC Quad, Kingpin Metrum Power Supply, MiniDSP DDRC-22D, Kingpin miniDSP Power Supply, Kingpin Power Distribution System, Audio Physic Brilon 2.0, Audio Physic Luna I, Apogee Wyde Eye, Copulare Zonal Rack

AbZ

Quote from: Kingpin on March  8, 2011, 16:28:56
Kun je me dit eens uitleggen? Je gaat een digitale RCA ingang (of uitgang) ontkoppelen met een trafo ?
Is vaak gewoon ingebouwd.  Kan bij uitgang en/of ingang en hoeft maar één keer.

Kingpin

Quote from: AbZ on March  8, 2011, 16:37:10
Is vaak gewoon ingebouwd.  Kan bij uitgang en/of ingang en hoeft maar één keer.
Ik snap het principe van een trafo wbt stroom/spanning en scheiding alleen niet hoe dit gebeurd bij een audiosignaal die over een RCA plug/kabel gaat.
Mainset : Kingpin TVC Preamplifier, Kingpin Tripath Amplifier, Logitech Squeezebox Touch, Kingpin Touch LiPo Power Supply, Metrum NOS DAC Quad, Kingpin Metrum Power Supply, MiniDSP DDRC-22D, Kingpin miniDSP Power Supply, Kingpin Power Distribution System, Audio Physic Brilon 2.0, Audio Physic Luna I, Apogee Wyde Eye, Copulare Zonal Rack

AbZ

Quote from: Kingpin on March  8, 2011, 17:25:44
Ik snap het principe van een trafo wbt stroom/spanning en scheiding alleen niet hoe dit gebeurd bij een audiosignaal die over een RCA plug/kabel gaat.
Het is geen audiosignaal.  Het zijn bitjes en (c)lockpulsen.
Kunnen ook de winnende loterijnummers zijn, of live televisiebeelden van aliens, dat maakt niet uit.

p.s. Het kan trouwens best met een audiosignaal, en dat gebeurt ook.

Deleted member

Quote from: garmtz on March  8, 2011, 16:02:34

Je kunt ervan uitgaan dat ze bij Lyngdorf hun best gedaan hebben een mooie scheiding aan te brengen, maar die zal dus nooit 100% zijn... Het beste is om dat bij de bron goed aan te pakken. Clichee, maar waar... :)

Je hebt gelijk Garmt. Tact doet 't ook zo had ik al gevonden en ik vermoedde dus Lyngdorf niet anders.

QuoteThe TacT RCS's digital inputs are isolated from the unit's ground plane by pulse transformers. The analog inputs are connected to the ground plane.

En dat klopte, zojuist vond ik nog een foto van de binnenkant van de TDA ter hoogte van de digitale inputs (http://www.micma18.dk/hifi/dacs/lyngdorftda2200.jpg) en ik zie daarop dat er C&D Technologies DA102M 'Transformers for Digital Audio Data Transmission' worden gebruikt.

Datasheet: http://www.digchip.com/datasheets/parts/datasheet/080/DA102M_R-pdf.php

Voor de Tact zijn daar trouwens upgrades voor met Scientific Conversions "Super" SC947-02 pulse transformers. (http://www.mauimods.com/TacTAudio.htm) Schijnt best veel uit te maken, maar ik begin er maar niet aan!  ;)