Beste imax 70mm beeld in nl of belgie

Started by zoldar, July 14, 2017, 23:24:39

Previous topic - Next topic

zoldar

Wil heel graag dunkirk op het beste imax scherm zien. Waar moet ik heen?
Geluid: Klipsch RP-280F | BK XXLS400FF  //  Beeld: Optoma UHD65 en Philips 55pus8601  //  Versterking: Pioneer SC-LX501
Analoog: SRM Tech Arrezzo | Ortofon 2M Black | Graham Slee Reflex M  //  Digitaal: Sony Viao met Jriver | Mytek Digital Stereo192-DSD DAC
Kabels: DIY Chord | Belden | IeGo | Furutech

jvanhambelgium

Quote from: zoldar on July 14, 2017, 23:24:39

Zijn alle IMAX'en volgens hun eigen standaarden niet gelijk in ervaring normaal gezien ?

HT Zolder Topic : http://www.htforum.nl/yabbse/index.php?topic=107044.0
A multichannel audio system is intended to be a social experience,
shared among several listeners. It is not like stereo, an antisocial
experience, if it is to be heard properly. (Floyd E. Toole, Ph. D.)

Loric

Nou nee. De afmetingen en projectie verschillen nogal. In Nederland zijn er heel wat zalen, die echter allemaal 2K digitaal projecteren. In Brussel wordt er met laser 4K geprojecteerd, ik heb daar hele verschillende dingen over gehoord.

Voor 15/70, échte Imax film, ga naar Engeland, in London en Manchester bijvoorbeeld.

Of, als je genoegen neemt met 70mm, - kwa kwaliteit ver boven Imax 2K -, in augustus gaat deze film in Eye draaien op 70mm.

Job

Quote from: zoldar on July 14, 2017, 23:24:39
Odeon Leicester Square.

Fox

Lees dit even.

Op het Film-Tech forum staat een uitgebreide indruk van de Imax laser in Brussel. Niet zo, ahem, positief:

http://www.film-tech.com/ubb/f16/t003024.html

Topic: The junk called IMAX with Lasers

I finally had the opportunity to visit an IMAX theater upgraded with their dual-laser projection system and I must say, it was a pretty significant letdown.

I went to see the late night show of Alien: Covenant at the recently reopened IMAX theater in Kinepolis Brussels. It was closed from 2005 until 2016 and before 2016 it didn't show feature films. It also never got an IMAX 3D upgrade. According to marketing back then, it was the second biggest IMAX screen in the world and according to the marketing now, it's the largest in Europe. Exactly where it ranks isn't really that important, but it's indeed pretty damn huge.

The theater is a traditional 70mm IMAX location, built pretty much according to IMAX specifications. During the recent refurbishment, new seats were installed, the walls got some treatments, a new silver screen was installed and the theater also got the 12 channel IMAX sound system. At the heart of the refurbishment obviously were the new laser projectors. I'm not sure if they also retained their original 70mm projector and if they did, in what shape it is.

Unfortunately, the visit already started on the wrong foot, when I went to the bathroom and they demanded 40 cents for the privilege and my 50 euros were no good, because they didn't have sufficient amount of change. Yeah, sorry, that's what the ATM gave me. When I told them I really had to use the bathroom, one of the cleaning ladies actually blocked the entry. I passed her by and went anyway. How can you deny a paying customer bathroom services? What are you thinking? I was greeted by security afterwards, I told them to call the police and tell them they deny people entry to their toilet facilities, which they're legally required to provide. Maybe they have a right to ask a fee for it, which I think is in itself already customer hostile, but then they also need to be prepared to accept all money considered to be legal tender or provide other means of payment. It ended in two figures barking insults at me, I decided to simply walk away and ignore them. The whole situation was actually quite comical, since it was a whole lot of theater about nothing and I would not let them ruin my evening.

What was more of an impact was the actual presentation, because it was a ton of shit. If this is the kind of quality IMAX believes can replace proper 70mm projection, please count me out.
But let's start with the sound first. I'm totally aware it's quite difficult to get sound right in such a large and especially high auditorium. Still, compared to what better Atmos and 7.1 rooms can achieve, this was especially dull and flat. The presentation totally lacked any form of bass. There was no dynamic in the sound and it lacked the punch necessary to leave an impression.

While the sound wasn't great, it was sufficiently good overall to avoid annoyances. What was annoying was the overall picture quality. I'd say I've never seen a picture as bad as this in any digital projection in all those years:

- Laser speckle all over the place. So dramatically visible, it's like someone threw a bunch of pearlescent beads all over the screen.
- IMAX with Laser uses anamorphic lenses to squeeze the image fill the screen. This results in non-square pixels. Even though the image is supposed to be in 4K, you WILL still see pixels at those screen sizes. The image looks a lot like that on an Apple Lisa, probably one of the few computers in history that featured non-square pixels...
- The non-square pixels result in the necessity to rescale practically all content and it shows. You get FAT and UGLY scaling artifacts EVERYWHERE.
The whole experience is a lot like looking full-screen at an 11-year old YouTube video on a large 4K monitor while pressing your head against it.

So, this is the technology which, according to IMAX (the company), is ready to replace 70mm on GIANT screens? You must be f*cking kidding me. This is just another hack job, to be honest, I even prefer the look of the Digital IMAX with Xenon.

en deze

https://allesoverfilm.nl/forum/showthread.php?94094-Wat-is-beter-Pathe-IMAX-XD-Atmos-of-VUE-Dolby-Cinema

Loric

Quote from: Job on July 15, 2017, 09:39:51
Odeon Leicester Square.

Zou je die zaal, 70mm, prefereren boven de BFI Imax in London die 15/70 draait?

bmateijsen

Je kan gewoon in Amsterdam bij The Eye terecht...

Fox

Eye heeft een mooie 70mm projectie.
Helaas is het geluid minder en niet zo goed afgesteld.
(erg front / centrisch gericht met een overheersend ongedefinieerd laag)

Quote from: bmateijsen on July 15, 2017, 15:57:36
Je kan gewoon in Amsterdam bij The Eye terecht...

eMVe

Quote from: Fox on July 15, 2017, 16:58:20
Eye heeft een mooie 70mm projectie.
Helaas is het geluid minder en niet zo goed afgesteld.
(erg front / centrisch gericht met een overheersend ongedefinieerd laag)
Vind ik in de bioscoop minder erg dan thuis. . . verder goed beeld en geen service dingen tussendoor; ik heb de kaarten al besteld.

Job

Quote from: Loric on July 15, 2017, 15:45:09
Zou je die zaal, 70mm, prefereren boven de BFI Imax in London die 15/70 draait?
Mij was verteld dat-ie alleen daar in 15/70 draaide, en op 70/5 in BFI -- maar dat klopt dus blijkbaar niet. Dan wordt het BFI voor mij.
En als de film tof is, ga ik 'em ook nog wel een keer op 70/5 zien, en ook een keer in Dolby Vision kijken.

siepie

De Engelstalige review die fox postte, de ding dat aan een boom hangt-force is stronge in that one. :D